I've finished my Claud Butler rebuild...(56k warning!)

one-eyed_jim":237qnt51 said:
Old Ned":237qnt51 said:
That looks very interesting, definitely not a CB!
I'm no CB expert, but those look a lot like CB bilaminates to me. Compare with this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8379107@N0 ... 516647527/

You know you could be right. I was thinking that bi-laminates were only in the actual lug area and not the whole head tube but they look identical. If so, it's a VERY nice frame you've got there!

Wrong again - as usual (hangs head in shame :cry: )

You know you could be right. I was thinking that bi-laminates
were only in the actual lug area and not the whole head tube
I think they are. Bilaminates are just sleeves that are brazed over the tubes where the lugs would otherwise be, and the joint is made with a fillet braze.

Some of the great French makers would fillet-braze or weld top- and down-tube stubs to the head tube to make one assembly - a bit like the one-piece head tube assembly of a Giant Cadex - and then silver-braze the tubes in. I don't think that's how the CBs were made though.

thanks for the info - will post better pics

frame itself is just about on its last legs (wheels?) as it is scarily thin in some places and very rusty - think someone possibly sand blasted it too much

All done! Will take it out for a ride today if the weather holds! Two things still to get actually, a new back axle as the current one is bent, and also a headbadge decal is currently on it's way from eBay. I have to say I'm really chuffed with it and hopefully it will last another 20 years now!

What was changed...

Powdery 27x1 knackered Michelins for 27 x 1 1/18 Conti Ultrasports
Short SR stem and drilled SR bars for Cinelli items
Old 105 SLR levers for slightly newer ones
Mismatched Saccon and Shimano 105 single pivot brakes for 105 dual pivots
Broken Suntour 6 speed freewheel for Shimano 7 speed
Golden Arrow front and rear mechs and non index levers for 105 set
MKS pedals, clips and straps for Shimano MTB SPDs
Ripped Marin gel saddle for Charge Spoon
Grab-On grips for Charge U-Bend
Ally chainstay protector for Charge Chipper
New cables all round
New 531 decals and custom graphics to match the Charge font

Everything was second hand, eBayed or donated apart from the tyres and Charge bits.

Before...

claudbutlerkb7.jpg

Now...

img4295se8.jpg

img4292ds5.jpg

img4288ug7.jpg

img4287it3.jpg

img4283ue9.jpg

butler

Nice job there! I was concerned about the 'charge' bits but the colour scheme works very well. I really like the DIY finish on the paint. Reminds me of a Flying Scot I did once......

Nice one, thanks for all the kind words!

Took it for a first ride yesterday (headbadge stuck on too!) and it felt great...admittedly a little harsh after my full susser MTB but it felt really quick compared to it too!

Needs a bit more TLC as I obviously had not adjusted the cones properly and some of the spokes had gone floppy by the end of the ride but looking forward to the summer now!

Back