PoTM August 2012 - 'This Is Why'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ductape":1pgq6oma said:
I like it Hollister. Great interpretation of " This is why".

I had to look up the word "plonker" to see what Sinnerman was implying you were...."

Not a word really used on this side of the pond. No class.

I think he is calling you a dick!

Web definitions:

Plonker is a slang term of British origin whose meaning has evolved over time. Partridge in the third edition of his A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in 1949 recorded the term as "low" slang for penis, "since ca. 1917". The term remains in recent use with that meaning.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plonker

A fool; A man who sanctions sexual relationships between his girlfriend and his male friends
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plonker

adj. Yet another word for calling someone an idiot. I'm tempted to write a Dictionary of British Insults. This is also (rarely) used to refer to one's penis (or someone else's, if you don't have one). I'm tempted to also write a Dictionary of British Words For Penis. ...
www3.telus.net/eddyelmer/Tools/BritDict.htm

(Brit.) : A foolish person, idiot or moron.
cyberpunk.asia/lexique.php

Perfect definition of the word Ductape. the last of your paragraphs is a bit much though given you were wrong in thinking to whom it was directed at.

And although i maybe happy to fly the British flag, i am equally proud of every single person in that pic for there contribution to the Mountain bike and the sport we all; know and love.

Well done H, you sumed it up for me in one pic.

So it appears that some of us mountain bike with these guys as their only justification. "Why"

And some of us mountain bike thanks to their innovations, in full
appreciation of their numerous and manifold contributions, which is what I meant... "How"

I really don't understand what's to be offended about to be honest but it's really not worth arguing about so I will contribute no more to this storm in a teacup.

dbmtb":xez5xn8g said:
So it appears that some of us mountain bike with these guys as their only justification. "Why"

appreciation of their numerous and manifold contributions, which is what I meant... "How"

I really don't understand what's to be offended about to be honest but it's really not worth arguing about so I will contribute no more to this storm in a teacup.

I got it. ;)

I thought it was witty and amusing. In no way did I take it as dig at Hollister, Hollisters entry, or the luminaries who are in the picture.

I think it is a great photo, and when voting time comes if people think it fulfills the brief the best they can vote for it.

But I reckon you are right in that those people pictured are the reason we have the sport as we know it, hence the how, but not necessarily the reason why we participate. :D

firedfromthecircus":2gheoy6u said:
dbmtb":2gheoy6u said:

I got it. ;)

I thought it was witty and amusing. In no way did I take it as dig at Hollister, Hollisters entry, or the luminaries who are in the picture.

I think it is a great photo, and when voting time comes if people think it fulfills the brief the best they can vote for it.

But I reckon you are right in that those people pictured are the reason we have the sport as we know it, hence the how, but not necessarily the reason why we participate. :D

Perhaps hollister did though, or at least i took it as so, given the mint sauce ref he made in his reply.

And as i did.

Tis funny looking back over this thread though, i can stop thinking of Rodney, from only fools and horses...........lol.

Sadly i dont think, any definition in any dictionary around the world could explain the true meaning of the Word PLONKER......better than watching a classic episode of good old Fools and Horses. (rodney picture not for entry into the comp......but a funny episode non the less)

Attachments

• tumblr_m8e1qmeIJX1rd2pzio1_500.jpg
    tumblr_m8e1qmeIJX1rd2pzio1_500.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 1,115
sinnerman":221ykld2 said:
Sadly i dont think, any definition in any dictionary around the world could explain the true meaning of the Word PLONKER......better than watching a classic episode of good old Fools and Horses.

On that I am in complete agreement. ;)

To translate Plonker as Dick gives it a harshness that it doesn't have. It is a much softer more endearing insult!
But how do you explain that. :LOL: :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwDBZuHw7l8

firedfromthecircus":37e7aox3 said:
sinnerman":37e7aox3 said:
Sadly i dont think, any definition in any dictionary around the world could explain the true meaning of the Word PLONKER......better than watching a classic episode of good old Fools and Horses.

To translate Plonker as Dick gives it a harshness that it doesn't have. It is a much softer more endearing insult!

To be fair to dbmtb, i was thinking fools and horses, and not Dick, when i made the comment, but he pedalled backward very well, which was amusing too.

No malice was ment, AS LONG AS NO ONE DISS"s the LEGENDS, they are all there, and we have a lot to thank them for, and best we not forget it.

:cool:

sinnerman":27tzhw1z said:
firedfromthecircus":27tzhw1z said:
sinnerman":27tzhw1z said:

To be fair to dbmtb, i was thinking fools and horses, and not Dick, when i made the comment, but he pedalled backward very well, which was amusing too.

No malice was ment, AS LONG AS NO ONE DISS"s the LEGENDS, they are all there, and we have a lot to thank them for, and best we not forget it.

Somtimes I think the reverence is overdone.

Sure, respect is due, but often a little bit of irreverence, is, um, well, fun - remember that? Where would we be without a bit of irreverence? Practically all our comedy gold would be, well, um, not comedy gold.

And, come on, admit it, you did overreact a bit to dbmtb - I got what he was pointing out, but I think most of the harshness he got was mainly because people inferred more into what he'd written than was there.

Neil":djvt7rus said:
sinnerman":djvt7rus said:
firedfromthecircus":djvt7rus said:
sinnerman":djvt7rus said:

Somtimes I think the reverence is overdone.

Sure, respect is due, but often a little bit of irreverence, is, um, well, fun - remember that? Where would we be without a bit of irreverence? Practically all our comedy gold would be, well, um, not comedy gold.

And, come on, admit it, you did overreact a bit to dbmtb - I got what he was pointing out, but I think most of the harshness he got was mainly because people inferred more into what he'd written than was there.

No i dont think me using a single word like "plonker" was an Over reaction, on the contrary....., given the post, i think it was spot on.

And no im sorry i dont agree that less respect should be paid to those in that picture, and yes i can take and get a joke, Hence my use of the term plonker (regardless of whether or not it was jumped on by Ductape because he thought i was trying to insult his fellow American).........,

No i have spent far too long in and around mountain bikes, to not pay respect where its due im afraid.... ;)

sinnerman":ceg28pde said:
No i dont think me using a single word like "plonker" was an Over reaction, on the contrary....., given the post, i think it was spot on.
Tomato / tomayto, let's call the whole thing off...

Opinions vary. You don't think you overreacted (naturally), on the other hand, I do. Stalemate.
sinnerman":ceg28pde said:
And no im sorry i dont agree that less respect should be paid to those in that picture, and yes i can take and get a joke, Hence my use of the term plonker (regardless of whether or not it was jumped on by Ductape because he thought i was trying to insult his fellow American).........,

No i have spent far too long in and around mountain bikes, to not pay respect where its due im afraid.... ;)
I've got no truck with respect.

But this isn't hallowed ground - if people want a religion, go start another scientology - irreverence never truly harmed anything - and if something isn't robust enough to withstand a little side humour, it's a poor do.

Neil":8ci8e90u said:
sinnerman":8ci8e90u said:
Tomato / tomayto, let's call the whole thing off...

Opinions vary. You don't think you overreacted (naturally), on the other hand, I do. Stalemate.
sinnerman":8ci8e90u said:

I've got no truck with respect.

But this isn't hallowed ground - if people want a religion, go start another scientology - irreverence never truly harmed anything - and if something isn't robust enough to withstand a little side humour, it's a poor do.

Fair play mate, if thats your point of view, its an open forum, but some in those pics (whilst no doubt they will find this whole thing funny)......they are members here, and i for one feel they deserve my respect, even if you dont.
Especially given the content of the picture and what they were joining together to celebrate.........it required the attention and effort of every single person in that pic, and they all turned up, and no doubt had a great time and a laugh too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back