Cougar Touring frame. UPDATED with Build

gillepy

Retro Guru
Hi, I picked up a Cougar frame off ebay a little while ago and received it today. I was wondering if anyone had any information about it. There doesn't seem to be much about them on the net.

I have bought it with the idea of building it up for a bit of touring. I have a shimano rx100 groupset with sti shifters. Would this be period correct?

Any information is greatly appreciated.

2012-08-09%2017_36_13.jpg

2012-08-09%2017_39_36.jpg

ooh time for a respray me thinks! alot of rust there, i'd send it to Argos in bristol, i spoke to them a while ago and they can do the style of paint that Cougar were doing, although this is not typical of their paint style work, which suggests it is a later frame from them, somewhere around 97/98 maybe, if memory serves the company was sold at somepoint around this time and certain things took a hit.

(if you want to see the type of paint they were doing check the link to my cougar/boardman build in the other thread, that has very typical cougar style paint, the design more than the colours)

looks like columbus tubing sticker on the seat tube though.

Its a Reynolds 531 select sticker. If I sent it away somewhere for a respray would they take care of the rust?

I only paid 30 pounds for the frame and about 70 for the groupset. I don't think I could justify spending 140 on getting it painted. I certainly couldn't justify it to the gf.

Do you think it would be a shame to just get it powder coated one colour? I was thinking about getting it done a dark colour with some repro whit decals.

Also do you know where i can get any info about it, i have the frame number.

Thanks for the help btw.

personally i would say it is a shame to do a basic job on it, Cougars are nice frames and i think they deserve a good paint job, but if the funds are limited then a powdercoat job would get it riding again.

the frames were made up in the Wirral, liverpool way, some were made by Terry Dolan, who now has his own brand and has built for many pro's over the years including boardman.

funds are indeed limited. looking around I have seen these

Cougar+2.jpg

gav.cougar1.jpg

which I think look very nice. I have around for a powdercoaters and see if they can acheive something like this.

Ask around locally, and on here, for a powdercoater (made up word?) with a good reputation for working with bikes.

I just had an MTB alloy frame done for £30 cash with a firm who do a lot of bikes, and it has come out really well.

I was going to go with a firm called Derwent enamellers in Derby. It costs 35 pounds for a few select colours. They did seem to know what they were talking about though. They also do stove enamelling, which im going to enquire about.

Back