PoTM August 2012 - 'This Is Why'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Augustus

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
PoTM returns this month ( a little late) and our theme for August 2012 is entitled - 'This Is Why'.

I think we may have had this title long ago but it's a good 'un, and thanks to Mint Sauce, we'll revisit it.

Interpret as you will, be it the reason you go out in all weathers, only in nice weather, buy shiny turquoise stuff that all your pals think is hideous....up to you. But try and communicate 'this is why' to us, the viewer in a great picture.

Go find the soul of your ride, and take a picture of it for the rest of us.

Rules are simple:

*Picture should be by you or of you.
*Picture should have a retrobike or at least a retro bike part in it (no not a 2012 Enduro with an ODI grip...).
*One pic/ entry per person.
*Pay attention to the 'theme' - that is the point after all.
*Nothing rude or dodgy please.
*Enjoy yourself - it's just a bit of fun.

Although not a rule as such, try and get out there and take new pics rather than submitting pics you've already posted on the site, it's the spirit of the comp...to get out and look and snap rather than showboat your already seen pics all be it even if they are lovely.

Let's see those entries...

SFOreception235123.jpg

The people involved, as much as the machines, and the rides, are a reason why for some.

Especially this group. (pictured)

If its not in the spirit of the cartoon sheep, and out of place here, let me know

hollister":10j17qxo said:
If its not in the spirit of the cartoon sheep, and out of place here, let me know

perhaps not the most visually evocative of mountain biking pics, it is of course in the spirit yes. :cool: so thank you for sharing it. Indded this is why. Why for that lot too and if it weren't for them...

And anyway, it's odds on to win whatever at the mo.

I like it Hollister. Great interpretation of " This is why".

I had to look up the word "plonker" to see what Sinnerman was implying you were...."

Not a word really used on this side of the pond. No class.

I think he is calling you a dick!

Web definitions:

Plonker is a slang term of British origin whose meaning has evolved over time. Partridge in the third edition of his A Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English in 1949 recorded the term as "low" slang for penis, "since ca. 1917". The term remains in recent use with that meaning.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plonker

A fool; A man who sanctions sexual relationships between his girlfriend and his male friends
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/plonker

adj. Yet another word for calling someone an idiot. I'm tempted to write a Dictionary of British Insults. This is also (rarely) used to refer to one's penis (or someone else's, if you don't have one). I'm tempted to also write a Dictionary of British Words For Penis. ...
www3.telus.net/eddyelmer/Tools/BritDict.htm

(Brit.) : A foolish person, idiot or moron.
cyberpunk.asia/lexique.php

sinnerman":2e0pzwzd said:

I think he was calling me a Plonker, not Hollister. And I'm from the UK.

Once again the difficulties of conveying what you actually mean across the internet rear their ugly head as I was not REALLY having a go at Hollister... The smiley should have been a clue but I guess the pointer wasn't big enough.

Bit of an overreaction there perhaps though Sinnerman?

dbmtb":1mdbhtoq said:
sinnerman":1mdbhtoq said:

I think he was calling me a Plonker, not Hollister. And I'm from the UK.

Once again the difficulties of conveying what you actually mean across the internet rear their ugly head as I was not REALLY having a go at Hollister... The smiley should have been a clue but I guess the pointer wasn't big enough.

Bit of an overreaction there perhaps though Sinnerman?

Not really.....Sorry but if you want to make a silly comment like you did, and in regards to every major contibutor to the birth and continued evolution of the mountain bike and the sport, then with or without the stupid smiley, someone was going to call you a plonker.

This time it was me.

And to be fair to Hollister, i think that pic will take some beating, for me it sums up this months POTM perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back