Oops! What was I thinking?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Just about to update actually Kermy.

Turns out the original was a 46t anyway :) Thats what I get for trying to squeeze bits of work in between other stuff. Anyway thats a result!

I found an old Shimano 400EX crank and tried it all on for fit. Works great even with the chainguard.

Polished up the frame and regreased the headset, replacing the clamp with a huge spacer as the new stem is quill fitment.

Ordered up a few bits and pieces tonight so I'll be waiting for the postman now.

Tyres seem okay actually so will hold onto them for the time being mainly to keep the cost down! Thinking of going tan with the saddle and grips rather than white....

Goldie":2vnltzov said:
This is about th twentieth (appropriately) time I've snuck on here to have a peak. Those gold Araya rims are absolutely incredible. This could look smashing whenit's done.

PS very nice to see johnny69's lovingly hand crafted Raleigh 20alike too :D

2 onbard eh! :) Good stuff.

Progress report:

How it's looking now:
P1160447.jpg

Cleaned headset with lamp bracket and clamp removed:
P1160449.jpg

Shimano 400EX chainset (lightly polished) with polished 46t TA chainring and stainless steel dust caps. Sealed VP bottom bracket.

P1160451.jpg

The only thing I can do now without any parts arriving is clean the back wheel.

Reminder of how it was:
P1160443.jpg

and now:
P1160450.jpg

a very guilty pleasure! i'd love to do something like this for the mrs :)
i have one of these if you want it:

IMG_9350.jpg

think its the right hand side (front brake) lever. needs some polishing up. PM if interested.
you can have it for postage :)

Brakes are on order fella thanks anyway.

Recieved a few parts today although could not fit them all....

Stem is almost as long as the original (limit line to bars) probably about an inch lower (limit lines are pretty much lined up in the picture). Much nicer though and will never rust :)
P1160455.jpg

You see that black bung on the clamp bolt? I fitted that to the expander bolt to prevent rain settling in there should the bike ever get wet (unlikely).

Fitted:
P1160467.jpg

New guards (from bottom - new rear, old rear, new front, old front)
P1160460.jpg

The original rear guard was held in place with a bolt through the fixed rack. I thought I was going to have to drill it but the new guards had a rivet holding on the mudflap in exactly the right place, result!
P1160466.jpg

Front guard:
P1160464.jpg

Rear guard:
P1160465.jpg

So far:
P1160463.jpg

Gold chain could work :cool:

Back