What cassette for Mavic Cosmic Pro

Djhep6

Retro Newbie
Hi all.
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to fit either a Shimano or Campagnolo cassette to a Mavic Cosmic Pro hub. (see pictures)

I have a brand new set of these wheels which are gathering dust and would love to put them to use on either a Campag Chorus or Campag Athena 8 speed setup.

Thanks in advance for any help.

All the best.

Dave.

Attachments

• Mavic wheel 1.jpg
    Mavic wheel 1.jpg
    169.4 KB · Views: 2,856
  • Mavic wheel 2.jpg
    Mavic wheel 2.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 2,856
  • Mavic wheel 3.jpg
    Mavic wheel 3.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 2,856
It looks like a hyperglide shimano spline to me but early campag (8 & 9 speed) looked similar I think ?

from Sheldon Browns site • Campagnolo: not very compatible
Campagnolo 8-speed cassettes used a slightly different spline pattern from the current pattern used for 9-and 10-speed systems.
8-speed Campagnolo cassettes will not fit on newer "9-speed" and "10-speed" hubs.

9- and 10-speed Campagnolo cassettes will not fit on 8-speed hubs.

It is theoretically possible to upgrade Campagnolo 8-speed hubs with newer cassette bodies, but in practice the parts don't generally seem to be available.

It looks more like Campag 8 to me.
All the splines look pretty equal in size.

Its def not Campag 9-10, and i think some of the later 8 is different again, but i'm no expert.

One eyed jim might be worth a PM to confirm...

I agree they are all equal so campag 8 it should be , now just get hold of a cassette for a test fit before purchase ! Knowing the even poorer availability of older mavic parts in my country it will be near impossible to get any other freehub body!

I used to have a pair of these. It's campag 8.

Won't run anything else - but Campag 8, Sachs and Dura-Ace 8 spacing was the same so will run on plenty of mid-90s configurations.

I bought a new Campag 8 speed loose cog cassette recently.
Unfortunately it won't fit on the Mavic hub. (the hub dia is quite a bit larger than the hole in the cassette).

Are there different types of Campagnolo 8 speed cassettes available?. I'm thinking maybe the older type were different with a larger dia. Would that be right?.

(The splines on the Mavic hub are definitely all equal in size).

Thanks for all the help so far.

Dave.

OE Jim.....
Thanks for the link.
That definitely confirms that the hub is compatible with the original Campag 8 speed type cassette.

Does anybody know if these are still available, and if so what would be a good place to source one?.

Dave.

Back