7 to 8 speed cassette... chain jumping in top gears, HELP!

Is often overlooked! We have all done it im sure.
I reckon you were possibly a bit clumsy with the chain tool and ruptured the outer plate with the rivet (not to insult you or anything, we have all done that too i bet!).
Should still replace your jockeys though.
I have been wondering whether amount of wear will matter as they serve as somewhat of a guide more than anything. But your chain does need at least something to sit on especially since some of the derailing properties are in the jockeys.

And could you take more pictures of your chainrings and drivetrain in general please. (Prett sure i see a heavily worn tooth right there).

excessive sideplay from the main pivot where it bolts to the frame will give you bad gear change...........if you try and wobble it close to the pivot n it moves noticably,it's fecked.

just need to add really quite oftenwhenpeople brought bikes in with jumping gears....it was either just a stop scew......or it was a combo of 2-3 things...........cos the drive area wears and there's lot's of parts involved...so quite often you could fiddle with stop screws for ages andget nowhere, cos the prob was, worn this plus a worn that.........if you fix your chain and it's not to long/short and it's still doing it, borrow a mech off anther bike or someone so you can eliminate that.........also dirty /worn cables will give same symptoms.....it's a process of elimiation ;)

Im with Cyfa on this one...Having seen pics of your rear mech the jockey wheels are fooked! No way they should be so sharp! (known by me and my mates as "sharks teeth") And the chainrings look to be suffering from the same fate looking very pointy. Its little wonder it shifts badly! As for the busted chain link...I have fallen foul of that! I thought for ages that my rear cassette must be worn...the noticed a chain link just as you have shown!...With that in mind check the condition of the cassette to see if those teeth are sharp also...

Wook

Hope there's nowt untoward about the drivetrain it's all 'new'.
main.php

Chain rings...
main.php

Cassette...
main.php

Jockey Wheel...
main.php

Drive train... (note the link's popped open again...)
main.php

Your comments about ruptured the plate (which popped open again today whilst riding, even after I'd mended it) seem to ring true... so will take that link out and replace with one of the 6 I removed previously...

Unsure on replacing the rear mech now as until the link popped it seemed to be working absolutely fine...

Cheers chaps.
JP

Oh thats odd, the original picture of the chain link there looks to be a pointy tooth.
Yep no need to replace mech if the link replacement works but id suggest still going for jockeys if all works as it cant hurt.

poolio":36ft7nn1 said:

I see what you mean, some do look really rather pointy don't they... trick of the light / angle?

Will pick me up a pair of jockey wheels - cannae hurt!

Ta la
JP

A cheaper fix may be to buy a SRAm chain with a quick link. Takes out the factor of human error in joining the chain.

I had a similar problem a while ago and it was down to me being an idiot and having the cable over instead of under the cable clamp on the rear mech. I felt like a total idiot when the guy in the shop pointed it out.

Tazio":1x4rtwjn said:
...down to me being an idiot and having the cable over instead of under the cable clamp on the rear mech. I felt like a total idiot when the guy in the shop pointed it out.

So many mistakes that we only make once!!

But that's how we learn no!?

JP ;)

Back