1986 Raleigh Record Sprint Single Speed

Trebz

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi All

My RRS from 1986. A nice mix of old and new I think. I'm thinking of removing the riser bar and replacing with a 2nd hand carbon unit, the front end is a bit too 'flexi' for me and i think it needs stiffening up a little.

GEDC1060.jpg

GEDC1063.jpg

GEDC1061.jpg

GEDC1062.jpg

GEDC1064.jpg

Yeah, really like that, nice and clean build... understated too.

What are the rims/hubs?

Carbon bar would make it ubercool...

ringo":18lze7n6 said:
Yeah, really like that, nice and clean build... understated too.

What are the rims/hubs?

Carbon bar would make it ubercool...

Wheels are: Weinmann XR18 rims with Quando quick release hubs and 16 tooth single speed freewheel. Bought them pre built from my pal at Star Bikes in Hull.

I wouldn't bother with a carbon bar if stiffness is your aim. You won't find a carbon bar to fit that type of stem. You'll need to buy an a-head converter and an a-head stem, plus the carbon bar itself. Then you'll find that despite having a really stiff bar, the front end will still flex - the steerer, fork blades and headtube can all flex too. And so can the front wheel. So if you want to have a really stiff front end, you'll need a different bike!

I would just enjoy it as it is. Looks like a nice bike.

^sound advice there.

Could get some carbon 1" ahead forks and change to proper ahead rather than adaptor but is it really worth it? Well if you love it and can pick up some reasonably priced parts it might be....

I took the RRS for a spin with the East Yorkshire guys last Saturday, opted to go for an X-Lite Titanium Bar in the end, looks good I think, the other chaps though so as well:

IMAG0542.jpg

IMAG0543.jpg

IMAG0544.jpg

It looked very good and went even better, I thought you did really well to cover 30 miles as easily as you did, not exactly flat either was it.

Nice to see another one!

Dont suppose it had a decent set of cranks or pedals on it did it?

Y282":1kbve048 said:
Nice to see another one!

Dont suppose it had a decent set of cranks or pedals on it did it?

I still have the crank arms and rings but they have had the gold anodised finish removed. PM me if you are interested. I also have some other RRS parts in my 'Box of Bits'.

Back