photo (7) - Copy (624x1024).jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,149
  • photo (6) - Copy (464x1024).jpg
    photo (6) - Copy (464x1024).jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,148
  • photo (1) - Copy (582x800).jpg
    photo (1) - Copy (582x800).jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 1,150
Thanks for posting this, UK e-stays have been really topical recently with this Overbury's e-stay popping up.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=214542

Interesting to note the design difference with yours - explained by the article on your bike. The re-enforcement on the down tube of the other type is visible in this pic:

makster":2t6csm8l said:
BigDog019.jpg

Love the salsa esq paint job - did you spec that?

The salsa style paint was speced by me, although I really liked the green and black stripe paintwork Les Lloyd and his team mate were already using it and I didn't want to copy them. I copied Salsa instead :LOL:

I'm interested in the re-enforcement in the photo. Do you have a photo of the complete frame?
Is the frame Columbus?

BFG":16hb08w9 said:
The salsa style paint was speced by me, although I really liked the green and black stripe paintwork Les Lloyd and his team mate were already using it and I didn't want to copy them. I copied Salsa instead :LOL:

I'm interested in the re-enforcement in the photo. Do you have a photo of the complete frame?
Is the frame Columbus?

Thank you for posting the mag review, fantastic, im am really impressed too, the weight especially and the Max tubing,

:cool:

I have seen a couple of these frames in the flesh, and about 4 in different pictures, and they all differ, the earliest one, used the other style with a much shorter down tube, and no rear braces. the second, was the same with rear braces, with the same main triangle and with a sleeve, and now this design.

The chap that had this model with the sleeve join, explained this addition because of a need for the strength and reinforcement at this join.., and the delays in the supply of the necessary tandem tubes with longer butting.

I believe Roberts had the same issues., with tube supply.

yours overcomes this altogether, .....just brilliantly.

The frame that is purple on the for sale thread, to me looks like a repair, not a sleeve like the model i have seen....but then im no frame builder.... :?

I did wonder if the paint was your choice, i really love it, and the chrome rear stays....!!! :cool:

I have to agree with you Sinnerman the extra strengthening in the photo does look post build. You would normally expect it to be between the tubes where they make contact to disperse the stress.

Here's another pic I took, and I wonder if this is the type of sleeve that is mentioned....

BigDog016.jpg

I didn't take a pic of the complete frame (I was knackered after the Big Dog, and a bit distracted by the very attractive young lady selling this ;) ) so this is about as good as I got.

Lulu has been contacted by someone else on retrobike, with a view to a viewing, so maybe they'd be kind enough to share their thoughts too?

If anyone wants to speak to me about this, then feel free to pm me your number. Pictures don't always tell a thousand words!

BFG":2j9jieib said:
I have to agree with you Sinnerman the extra strengthening in the photo does look post build. You would normally expect it to be between the tubes where they make contact to disperse the stress.

I would love to think this frame is still out there somewhere,

How did you rate it in comparison to the pace...?

It just seems odd that someone would lovingly craft that seat tube together and them just tack on that piece of strengthening on the down tube :?

BFG":1iw967li said:

Possibly, here is another pic of one without the gusset:

Gravy Monster":1iw967li said:

I'd agree that the gusset on the purple frame looks a bit agricultural (repair patch) but it does increase the contact area between the two tubes and spread the load - bit like a head tube gusset on a Salsa or a Bonty.

@ Makster is Lulu selling the purple one on eBay?

it makes me wanna drive there to see it, thats for sure....

Whether or not it was done, before during or after, by overburys or a guy in his shed, i still think Judging it purely on one the first pic makster showed, imho the tube itself looks like it has seen better days.

It would niggle the hell out of me too if the inside oif that tube, is rotten, and i would have to replace it, and that takes time and Money.

After seeing your Stunning bike BFG, my biggest regret since joing the site, is not buying the Braced version that came up on ebay several months ago, it was solid, and in great shape, if not a little off on the spec choice, and it didnt go for mental money either.

on the purple one.....Imho, the fact the colour of the front fork is the original riddler colour and the main frame purple, raises enough questions in itself for me.

Back