Tommy Simpson query

lastpubrunner

Retro Guru
Hi All,

An old guy in the pub, told me that Tommy Simpson (as a young man), took part in either the National 25 or 50 mile time trialing championships in the 1950s ( he can't remember which year).

Anyone know if he did compete and which year(s); if so, how did he get on ?

Thank you !

Found this on another forum :)

"He won a junior 25 in 1955 in a time of 63 minutes"

And I know Harry Hall was the last person to see him alive.

Barry, the brother-in-law/brother of some old friends (Mike & Josie, respectively) of mine later married Helen Simpson

I called at their house a couple of days after Wiggins Tour victory, hoping to get to find out what Barry thought about it, but sadly they were out (not had reason to go past again yet)

Talking of Tommy Simpson! Has anyone gone to the the Simpson Memorial and grave at Harworth in Nottinghamshire ?

Not many know of this !

Well worth a treat to look at his old Peugeot and his trophies and stacks of memorabilia all encased
behind a big glass panel, This is in the Harworth sports complex pub, to the entrance of the sports ground
is a big stone head dedicated to Simpson.

His actual grave is only ten minutes walk away from that stone, If you want to pay your respects for this forgotten hero.

lastpubrunner":2bi4u5yj said:
Hi All,

An old guy in the pub, told me that Tommy Simpson (as a young man), took part in either the National 25 or 50 mile time trialing championships in the 1950s ( he can't remember which year).

Anyone know if he did compete and which year(s); if so, how did he get on ?

Thank you !

I don't recollect him mentioning it in his autobiography. He was more involved and interested in the track and road really although he did win the Hillclimb Champs one year. Barry Hoban won the 50 champs in '61 on a course near York.

"Hello" Nedly!!!! <waves>
Trust you're both okay?

Ian Raleigh":358drf3n said:
Talking of Tommy Simpson! Has anyone gone to the the Simpson Memorial and grave at Harworth in Nottinghamshire ?

His actual grave is only ten minutes walk away from that stone, If you want to pay your respects for this forgotten hero.
I know of it, but not been

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/475558

On a similar tangent, whenever we're in 'the lakes' & find ourselves at Coniston, the grave of Donald Campbell is always visited
(as are the memorials to him & Leo Villa in the village)

Latest posts

Back