Cougar

crankitup

Retro Newbie
Does anybody know what model this Cougar is built by Terry Dolan?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 07092011324_797.jpg
    07092011324_797.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 733
  • 07092011325_128.jpg
    07092011325_128.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 733
  • 07092011326_759.jpg
    07092011326_759.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 733
they didn't have models as such, you told them you wanted a road bike or TT bike and then said what tubing you wanted which affected the price then decided what sections you wanted chroming if any then decided on the colours.

the reynolds 653 frame/fork was about £600 in 1995 plus chrome plus £20 for a 3rd colour fade if memory serves.

mine is a cougar made from columbus slx, looks very similar to yours although mine is a 53cm and it's been painted twice since new although it is now blue and silver like this one, sort of!

unless you really need them please change the mtb rear gears for matching ultegra, no offence but i hate seeing this on such a nice frame, although it's not as bad as doing a botch fixie conversion!!

:)

...AND...please do not do that to the chain, quickest way of wearing out your transmission if ridden like that.

Just saying...

Thanks Jonnyboy!

I picked it up for £90 :D i know it's kinda been built up with lots of different parts and that long cage rear mech i think was needed to get that 34t rear cog to spin, the previous owner wasn't keen on working up the hills i think!

Shimano 600 chainset 53/42 9 speed
shimano 600 brakes
shimano Sora STI levers
not sure what the drop bars are
Modern Mavic open pro rims/badley buckled
Shimano Tiagra hubs

This is my first restoration can you give me any more info on what group set and wheels were used for this era?
Do you have any pics of your Cougar that i could see?

here's the thread on the road cougar, it's currently built with the modern veloce groupset again,

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=cougar

here's the build thread for my boardman-ish TT replica, there is also a pic (first in the thread) of what my road cougar looked like when i got it in the GAN colours with full campagnolo record group.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... ght=cougar

if i was you with what you have there i'd aim for shimano Ultegra 8 speed, it's not daft money and is quite easy to find on here and ebay and you already have some of it on the bike which suggests that was what it was originally built with.

:)

Thanks for the info and links very helpful :D your cougar looks quite stunning. You mentioned Ultegra group set, is this the shimano 600? and is it a good model group set? can you advise me on wheels too?

Sorry for all the questions :(

Cheers!

shimano 600 is also ultegra, the names were combined at somepoint then after awhile the "600" was dropped. it's second from the top in the groupset hierarchy from shimano, the 8speed version is pretty much period correct for the frame, wheel wise again the ultegra hubs with mavic rims, open 4cd would be my choice but maybe cxp22's, if not maybe a set of mavic wheels.

@gillepy, haven't seen your thread.

Back