Drive-side cup keeps coming loose....Any idea's folks ?

Ian Raleigh

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I've been out on my Motobecane several times and the drive-side bottom bracket cup keeps coming loose.

I've taken it out twice now and on the first time i tightened it as much as i could, but it came loose again.

On the second re-install i cleaned the threads and put a few drops of thread lock on the cup threads, came loose yet again.

What you reckon guys do i go mad and thoroughly clean the threads of grease and go mad with the thread lock
and hope for the best or is there a better way of stopping a cup from coming loose.

The threads on the bottom bracket and cups are fine by the way.

Add you bit guys if you've got any top tips.......

Probably sounds like a bit of a bodge.. But I've used ptfe "plumbers" tape before, a good few wraps of it.

Although trying some different cups is probably the proper answer.

Some Guy":12uu4pai said:
Probably sounds like a bit of a bodge.
A bodge ? :evil:

I doubt it very much as i care for my bikes with love and never bodge anything.
I might try a layer of thread lock all over the threads and see if it holds.job done,
If not i'll have a go at a few drops of super glue on the threads
If it comes loose again i'll get some plumbers tape and try that.

Robbied196":12uu4pai said:
Isn't there a lock ring, or is that whats coming loose?
The drive side is a fixed cup.

Most likely get my bodge sorted out this afternoon :LOL:

Thread lock can't do no harm, will also act as antiseize. Make sure you remove the grease completely from the BB shell and threads with some petrol.

I've read you post properly this time :)

How about the old trick of locking the nut flats in a vice and tightening in with the frame? I bet you'll get at least another 1/4 turn on it than you will with a spanner.

After a phone call to a mate he suggested too removing all the grease with petrol/thinners and giving the threads
a good coating of thread lock, then putting a pipe on the end of the BB spanner to tighten up hard.

Cleaned up the BB and re-fitted everything.

I'll leave it a day for the thread lock to harden and instead of going on the road to see if it
comes loose i'll ride my Machine[bodge] on my training rollers! Makes more sense :oops:

Heres hoping for it to never come loose again.

Back