My first build: Rider Columbus SLX, crazy 90's colors..

adwo

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

Just wanted to show off my first 90's retro build: a Rider Columbus SLX frame.

I just fell in love with the crazy color scheme! Will not be for the faint hearted..

The entire group set is Shimano 600 Ultegra, including the seatpost. These parts where mostly NOS with the first Shimano brifters.

Finished with a NOS Selle Italia Turbo Saddle, 3TTT handle bar tape and Mutant stem and bars.

Also really liked the look of the classy Campagnolo Shamal wheels, so bought a used set and polished the hell out of it..

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic, high res images still on my camera..

Cheers,

Adwo

023_2.jpg

That is indeed a spectacular colour scheme - very 90s :D

I am curious about the 'Rider' brand. They come up for sale every so
often near me in Belgium, and always seem to be good bikes with nice components, but I haven't a clue who makes them or where they come from.

Google searching 'Rider Bicycles' isn't particularly helpful...

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated, will swap the skewers around, totally missed that..

Regarding the Rider brand, not much to be found. Another thread on here suggesting that they were built by Concorde/Merckx.

As Concorde was built by CIOCC for the Dutch market and Rider was/is from Belgium everything is still unclear.

Ocassionally I see parts on eBay, mostly in the UK and Belgium though..

Anybody that knows more?

Kind regards,

Adwo

Another observation: the bike is really comfortable compared to my Klein Quantum Pro XX.

Actually first time I drove it I thought there was not enough air in the tyres, it just felt to compliant! :D

Re:

Hey Adwo!

Curious to know if you still own this bike?! I just found the frame on ebay and am going to build one myself. I love the color scheme!

My question is the frame I bought didn't come with a fork so I need to find one of those as well. Curious to know what kind of fork you have on this Rider. Is it Rider branded like the bike or Columbus SLX?

Thanks!
Drew

Re:

Hi,

I still own the bike, it indeed has a Rider marked front fork.

I recall the thread for the front fork was quite exotic, but don't remember what is was..

Regards,

Adwo

Re:

Hmmm do you think a 700c threaded will work or no?

Also do you know what size brake caliper you needed? Is a short reach sufficient? Or did you need a medium reach (47-57)?

Thanks for the quick reply
Drew

Latest posts

Back