1977 Raleigh competition G.S. ground up restoration.

B1kEnUt

Dirt Disciple
Here is the Original frame that I purchased from a friend it took some research to find out what exactly it was. But I have since restored/ refurbished the bike Photos to follow!

Attachments

• reynolds.JPG
    reynolds.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,700
  • headtube fork.JPG
    headtube fork.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,700
  • Raleigh before frame.JPG
    Raleigh before frame.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 1,700
Here is the finished product out on its first ride when I stopped for a few drinks at a local bar.

Attachments

• Competition GS side.JPG
    Competition GS side.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,694
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,694
I have more pics of the process but I thought I would start with the before and after. It was a very fun project and the first paint job I had ever done on a bicycle I had some fun with it and I know I deviated from the original paint job but I love the way it came out and the bike rides great. L' Eroica here I come!!

Attachments

• in the stand after paint before decals.JPG
    in the stand after paint before decals.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 1,688
  • in the stand.JPG
    in the stand.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,688
Really nice restoration, and a great colour combination.

I'm not normally a fan of resprays, I'm with the 'its only original once' brigade. Although this is mainly because I've seen some truly awful and inappropriate resprays and powdercoats.

Yours does justice to the Raleigh name :D

Thank you all for the kind words it was a labor of love, and an experiment with my abilities as a painter. I try to ride it three times a week if I can without neglecting the px-10 or the Aerospace Pro. I don't like to play favorites but the Competition might be it with the PX-10 a close second. The Raleigh has a rack on it now because it will be my ride for an upcoming tour in ITALY and my ride for L'Eroica. Thanks to all for the Kind words!

Latest posts

Back