BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Looking for some suggestions for some disc brakes. My budget will be around £150 for something decent quality used but good condition. I'm a pretty hefty bloke so need some decent stopping power :D
My knowledge of discs is pretty crap so any suggestions welcome.
Thanks

At that price you should be able to find a set of new Formula RX brakes. I had them with 180 mm rotors on both ends, and they easily throw my 190lbs over the bars if I don't pay attention.

Mind you, they can take quite a bit of setting up before they stop squealing.

EDIT : be sure to look on the German eBay, not the UK one. In the UK they're £100 more on average.

Second vote for RX - mine have been powerful and trouble free for a few years now, really rate them. Second choice would be SLX; Shimanos tend to be problem free and reliable, but haven't quite got the brick wall effect of the RXs.

I'm considerably heavier than you (circa 250lb) and have a set of hope mono m4s an they're more than up to the job!

I'm currently running a 180/160 setup.

I appreciate the beautiful engineering of the Hopes, they come apart and go back together really well and if you buy the mono generation all parts are available cheaply.

Easy to bleed, great lever feel and with real Hope organic pads no noise.

X2 for Hope. Had Mono Mini's (well within budget) and currently running Tech M4's. Both are great, the M4's off the scale :cool:

Another vote for Shimano brakes here (will be ordering a set on pay day). They have immense power but better control this year, so less immediate bite. Heard good things about Formula brakes, although they do seem expensive and apparently need a bit more TLC than most.

Hope have a lot of fans (I'm not one, although the machining is nice as is the availability of spares). More techy reviews generally have them down on power compared to other brakes when put on dynos,.especially the Mono range. Although I think the Tech series have caught up.

I personally quite like Hayes brakes (which is unusual as most people in the UK hate them). They are a bit wooden in feel, but always have loads of power and lots of bite.

Perhaps I should've made this a poll!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm hearing/reading good things about the new Shimano discs which I can afford to buy new (Deore or SLX) which is a plus. Anyone not like them?

raidan73":11jogy0e said:

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm hearing/reading good things about the new Shimano discs which I can afford to buy new (Deore or SLX) which is a plus. Anyone not like them?

Check the German stores like Rose Bikes and bike discount.de for new Shimano brakes because they're a fair bit cheaper than UK shops. The XT brakes I want are about fifty notes cheaper than CRC even with postage.

Mindmap3":12gkz09l said:
raidan73":12gkz09l said:

Check the German stores like Rose Bikes and bike discount.de for new Shimano brakes because they're a fair bit cheaper than UK shops. The XT brakes I want are about fifty notes cheaper than CRC even with postage.

Thanks, will do.

Merlin have Deore F&R (no rotors) Deore M596 for £90 which seems quite reasonable?

Back