First Post - Which Campy Record parts for my Pinarello Paris

Djhep6

Retro Newbie
Hi all.....
Been lurking here for a while and really enjoying the forums, so time for a first post.

The bike is new to me and is a Pinarello Paris from 1998
It has Campagnolo Record parts fitted except for pedals, stem and seat post.

The seat post is currently a Selcoff Titanium, and the stem is a 3T ahead corsa.
I would like to replace these with Campagnolo Record parts that would match the rest of the groupset.

I would be really grateful if anyone could help me with identifying which seat post and stem i need to look out for i.e. part no etc.

All the best.

Dave.

ps. Sorry for my ignorance, but there seems to be so many different variants.

pps. I attached a few pics of my other bikes, hope that is ok.

Attachments

• P1000596 (6).jpg
    P1000596 (6).jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1,666
  • P1000597 (2).jpg
    P1000597 (2).jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,666
  • P1000602 (2).jpg
    P1000602 (2).jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 1,666
  • Picture 074 (5).jpg
    Picture 074 (5).jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 1,666
Re: First Post - Which Campy Record parts for my Pinarello P

Nice bikes, especially your black Joe Waugh. It's rare to see splatter bar-tape look so good!

Djhep6":3j64xl2e said:
The seat post is currently a Selcoff Titanium, and the stem is a 3T ahead corsa.
I would like to replace these with Campagnolo Record parts that would match the rest of the groupset.
Campagnolo have never made stems. The one you have may not be the most elegant, but at least it's Italian, and from about the right period.

There wasn't a Record seatpost in the '98 catalogue, but by '99 you have the titanium-shaft Record post:

http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/doc/doccatid_3.jsp

They're hard to find, and a good example will cost you an arm and a leg. The Selcof you currently have isn't a bad alternative.

Note that your Ergo shifters are also from '99 or later. '98 was the only year of the newer, rounder hood shape when Record used aluminium rather than carbon lever blades.

There's a good selection of Campag catalogues in the Retrobike archives:

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... atalogues/

Hi OE Jim.....
Thanks very much for your reply, it certainly makes things a bit clearer.

Well spotted on the bike age......I just checked the original bill of sale that came with the bike, and t's actually a 99 model not 98 as i wrote earlier.

Just out of interest, i attached it to this reply.
Do people feel that bikes have become cheaper or more expensive for a similar specced bike than they were say 10 - 15 years ago?.

My feeling is that they are becoming cheaper (taking into account inflation) as time goes on
For example. My first real bike (Joe Waugh 531c Campag Athena) cost 1200 quid back in the late 80's early 90's.
Seemed like an arm and leg back then!!!!!!

Attachments

• bill of sale .jpg
    bill of sale .jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 1,639
This is my favourite Campag period. They got rid of the chunky ergo levers while retaining the best aspects of the C-Record look. Yours is a 99 group though - the first year they introduced carbon ergos and the new-type hubs. My De Rosa has the very rare alloy 98 levers and the Titanium-axled hubs.

Record seatposts for 98 were indeed a bit of a problem. They were going to make them in 18MCVD steel but never did as there were problems with durability in pre-production models. So they sold the previous version alloy post which is basically a Super Record post without the fluting until they made titanium-tubed posts for 99 instead. Those of us lucky enough to have one of these are not likely to part with them as they were scarce even when they came out. This is probably why the bike has the Selcof post. Pinarello used Selcof as original componentry round this time so I'd hang onto it if I were you.

Stem - as stated before - no Campag option so the then-top-of-the-range 3T is as good as anything. I'd just leave as is, as it is pretty authentic. Very nice bike, for alloy. 8D.

Thanks for the help and advice regarding the parts on my bike guys.

I'm not really too worried about matching groupset, but i do like to keep my bikes period correct if possible.
With that in mind, i will probably keep the bike as is with the Selcof seatpost and the 3T stem.

All the best.

Dave.

Latest posts

Back