Hole Station

silverclaws

Senior Retro Guru
Just for yous that like camping, may I heartily recommend Hole station adults only campsite in Devon, complete with it's composting toilets.

http://www.freewebs.com/holestationcampsite/

A campsite in the woods, where I noticed a lot that liked to cycle based their rides from

Yeah, it was wet, very wet, flash floods common in areas nearby and some fantastic cloud formations on sunday, but this campsite promotes open fires and even provides a basha shelter on every pitch so a roaring fire in the rain is not so unwelcome.

Oh yeah and no screaming ab dab kids to annoy

Just a pity it took until today for my legs to recover after some serious bog yomping out on Dartmoor.

And besides I like the owner's ethos, I will go there again soon.

Sounds pretty dead and horrible to me... I have to say that every single time I've stayed at a camp site and been irritated by noisy campers it's been the "adults" to blame.

A bit of noise from kids playing through the day is a pleasant background sound of fun and a sign of life IMV.

pls forgive me but the 'hole station' sounds like some kind of dogging site !

but seriously, it would be my type of camping..almost wild camping...looks great place :D

greenstiles":3vwrue1x said:

but seriously, it would be my type of camping..almost wild camping...looks great place :D

Well one can wild camp there, but no foraging allowed on the site, fallen timber has to be left alone as it provides a habitat for all manner of creatures not seen in managed woods, but open fires are encouraged as each pitch has a fire pit (a wagon wheel rim) and a basha shelter already erected next to the fire with rustic benches. A fire making 'kit' is available to purchase at £6 consisting of a fire lighter and different sizes of timber all in a crate, which we found was enough for two nights, but next time I will be taking my billhook as we seemed to have more big logs than smaller logs. But if it is a wild camping basha shelter one wants to use for kipping in, by all means, as there is plenty of hangers for stringing ridge lines between, but beware, in the early morning deer make a visit, and tent flanks do get rustled.

But although this kind of camp site might not appeal to all, those without dependents and pets may find it a haven. As to late nights partying, none whilst we were there did much of that, not that we could hear much as one thing about a woodland campsite, is sound does not carry so well and besides talking with those there, most were using the site as a base for Dartmoor yomping which is kind of tiring, so after one had got bored of the novelty of staring into the fire and the wine had run out, night time is the time for sleeping to be up naturally early the next day to get a full day in before the weekend comes to a close and it is back to normality.

I believe they also hire out yurts as well.

silverclaws":24ihqqug said:
greenstiles":24ihqqug said:

Well one can wild camp there, but no foraging allowed on the site, fallen timber has to be left alone as it provides a habitat for all manner of creatures not seen in managed woods, but open fires are encouraged as each pitch has a fire pit (a wagon wheel rim) and a basha shelter already erected next to the fire with rustic benches. A fire making 'kit' is available to purchase at £6 consisting of a fire lighter and different sizes of timber all in a crate, which we found was enough for two nights, but next time I will be taking my billhook as we seemed to have more big logs than smaller logs.

Not into camping with a paltry fire :? We like big Neanderthal style blazes :D especially as we camp in Scotland in winter.
The whole day is spent foraging and moving timber down to our site then sawing it up and splitting it.10' logs with a diameter of about 12", take a fair amount of work to saw up by hand,keeps you warm though :LOL:
Then at night when its -10 the heat of your biblical style fire means you dont have to retire to the bag when the sun goes down.

Back