New Sedis-Sport chain ?

I have abandoned the route of period chains... and switched to Shimano HG 50... they actually shifts better than old Reginas and cost less than 10 pounds. Chain is a consumable, after all...
Admittedly they don't last very long... with period big giears (52x42) you get about 2000 miles out, before the strech is over 1 mm for ten links... but hey oh...

........nothing like the sound of the bunch coming around a corner and hitting a hill or them winding up for the final sprint. Grind those friction lever gears :)

Shaun

Midlife":1twsyyod said:
........nothing like the sound of the bunch coming around a corner and hitting a hill or them winding up for the final sprint. Grind those friction lever gears :) Shaun

Holy shit i can hear them now!
Dust and everything else a time when racing was real racing and you had to use your wit instead of an ergopower lever as nowadays :mrgreen:

No sedisport black chain so were do i begin now ? I don't want a new[2012] chain as i want to keep it original.

Ian Raleigh":1wrcmvap said:
Midlife":1wrcmvap said:
........nothing like the sound of the bunch coming around a corner and hitting a hill or them winding up for the final sprint. Grind those friction lever gears :) Shaun

Holy shit i can hear them now!
Dust and everything else a time when racing was real racing and you had to use your wit instead of an ergopower lever as nowadays :mrgreen:

No sedisport black chain so were do i begin now ? I don't want a new[2012] chain as i want to keep it original.

I went through that journey and decided it was not worth it... a chain is just a chain... it's meant to do a few K miles and then be recycled to make some cheap steel in China... if it's made in 1982 or 2012 does not make any difference...

ugo.santalucia":3a7h7img said:
I went through that journey and decided it was not worth it... a chain is just a chain...
it's meant to do a few K miles and then be recycled to make some cheap steel in China...
if it's made in 1982 or 2012 does not make any difference...

It may not make any difference to you but I want to keep it original and not bang on any modern shit :roll:

Some time ago whilst out on the bike i came across a chap who had re-stored an 80's Pinarello and
looked magic to the eye, we chatted about old bikes as you do, Then he mentioned about his new gold
KMC chain and that it wasn't running good, I then told him that type of chain wasn't designed for the old Campag'
drive-train and the chain was actually knackering his block and 'new' front chain-wheels! He said it will bed in in time!

He had fitted an ultra narrow KMC hollow link/hollow pin chain :shock:

Ian Raleigh":2mn3wrq3 said:
ugo.santalucia":2mn3wrq3 said:
I went through that journey and decided it was not worth it... a chain is just a chain...
it's meant to do a few K miles and then be recycled to make some cheap steel in China...
if it's made in 1982 or 2012 does not make any difference...

It may not make any difference to you but I want to keep it original and not bang on any modern shit :roll:

Some time ago whilst out on the bike i came across a chap who had re-stored an 80's Pinarello and
looked magic to the eye, we chatted about old bikes as you do, Then he mentioned about his new gold
KMC chain and that it wasn't running good, I then told him that type of chain wasn't designed for the old Campag'
drive-train and the chain was actually knackering his block and 'new' front chain-wheels! He said it will bed in in time!

He had fitted an ultra narrow KMC hollow link/hollow pin chain :shock:

Well, I use HG 50, which is 6-8 speed... and shfts better than the Regina.
I do like to keep the bike original for the non disposable parts, but I do use it and I am aware period chains are getting rare and consequently expensive. Where there is a valid cheap alternative, I prefer to use it. An old chain won't make the bike ride better, so I am happy to compromise on this.
Going that route, you might find yourself looking for second hand Wolber Tubulars, which will let you down every other ride...

On the other hand, nothing wrong in throwing in some cash on a beautiful seat post... that's meant to last... it's worth investing money

With all due respects sir, a brand new Sram will look like an old Sedis after a few miles and will be more reliable. It will also come with a handy master link, which if you really object to, can just be removed. You can find them for under a tenner at the usual mail order places. BTW, Sedis became Sram some years ago. There was nothing special about a Sedis Sport. It was just a chain.

edit: and as Mr Ugo says, it's a disposable item. if you are planning to ride the bike rather than hang it up as a work of art, you will have to replace the chain in maybe 2000 miles at most if you're lucky and take good care of it.

Brand new Sedisport chain sourced for just £5 from a local old school bike shop so i'm happy now :D Infact the shop has two more nos chains so i got them too ;)

Ian.

Back