Fedex Customs/Import Charges AFTER i Recieve Goods!

Here's the calculator:

http://www.dutycalculator.com/

Should also say that FedEx don't tend to forget too often, especially when it's a large sum. It is not them that decides on the fees charged on packages but HMRC - that's the bit on the tracking information where it says 'clearing customs'. They then allow FedEx to collect the money on their behalf and that is why FedEx charge a handling fee.

Fedex likely won't forget as its a large sum.

The process is they pay the duty to HMRC and then obtain it off you. Parcelforce don't give you the item then ask for the filthy lucre but most other couriers deliver then invoice for the goods (trusting!) - usually with a "handling fee" on top.

Ignoring it will usually get you another letter and so on.

I import things from the states all the time, I can tell you now Fed-Ex will NOT forget, they chased me for just 35 euros for about 3 months before I recieved a visit from the balifs. Forgive me for saying so but why on earth would you want to fiddle the tax anyway ? It seem everyone gets upset if an MP or big corporation fiddles expenses or taxes but the average man in the street see it as his god given right to avoid duty wherever possible. Suck it up and pay.
One of the reasons british high streets and small retailers in are in such a piss poor state is because of people want everything for as cheap as possible and buy from overseas without considering the consequences, how many people bleat about outsourcing and call centres in India etc but will happily buy from abroad to save a few pennies ?
Also if you get clobbered for import duty etc the thing you're buying often works out more expensive than buying from home, and if it breaks the guarantee is only valid in the country of purchse so you have to send it back to the at your expense.

Rant over.

Surprised they deliver without obtaining payment first. As someone who works in freight, I would never deliver without obtaining payment first. It does seem a bit steep. If you want me to check things, let me know what it was you bought, and what it was made from, and I will check it out.

B77":2wfqw8h2 said:
I import things from the states all the time, I can tell you now Fed-Ex will NOT forget, they chased me for just 35 euros for about 3 months before I recieved a visit from the balifs. Forgive me for saying so but why on earth would you want to fiddle the tax anyway ? It seem everyone gets upset if an MP or big corporation fiddles expenses or taxes but the average man in the street see it as his god given right to avoid duty wherever possible. Suck it up and pay.
One of the reasons british high streets and small retailers in are in such a piss poor state is because of people want everything for as cheap as possible and buy from overseas without considering the consequences, how many people bleat about outsourcing and call centres in India etc but will happily buy from abroad to save a few pennies ?
Also if you get clobbered for import duty etc the thing you're buying often works out more expensive than buying from home, and if it breaks the guarantee is only valid in the country of purchse so you have to send it back to the at your expense.

Rant over.

Since when can you buy a 18 year old bike in a shop in the UK? its pretty obvious what i bought is a retrobike :roll:

Its a piss take anyone has to pay tax/duties on a 2nd hand item, its not hurting retailers/high street shops.

Back