Newbie and Seatpost Issues :)

tommywilsonuk

Retro Newbie
Hiya All..

New Poster and relatively new cycler!!!
Ill take a second to introduce ones self - Im Tom and live in a place near Richmond N Yorks... I was an avidly keen runner but have decided road cycling is far much more fun :) .. Exploring further a-field rather than the same 10-12 miles each day.

Story then.. Ive had MTB's (boooo) but bought an old (cant identify the year) but old Dawes road bike. The frame was featherlight and the rest of it was in bad nick so my freind sprayed the frame and sold it to me.. Ive basically began updating the bike, an overhaul of sorts - if you will.. and am thouroughly enjoying it all.. Ive even bought some retro cycle jerseys off'a ebay haha :)..

Anyways my issue for today is this... Obviously being an old bike its quite hard to find seatposts that fit. The seatpost in is the original chrome shiny one. It doesnt look ace so im after a black seatpost. Now ON the original it says 26.2 x 1.2 which im guessing means I need a 26.2mm seatpost?

Ive searched around and can only find ebay wonders and suchlike but im nervous about pulling the buy trigger until im sure im correct with the above info.

Please HEELLP!!
Thanks a lot guys

Most accurate way to check is to measure the current seat post with some vernier calipers. Your lbs should have some or you can pick them up quite cheap on eBay.

Back