Mavic GL330 or Mach CD 2

RooKilo

rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi, I'm planning to build some wheels for one of my bikes and have a minor dilemma: my choice of rim is torn between GL330's or Mach 2 CD2. I've no real experience of either so does anyone have any advice / suggestions?

Thanks!

Raced on Mach 2CD's back in the 90's. Still have both sets of them, and they're still remarkably true. From what i understand, the 330's are more a time trial rim, being 330 grams (hence the name) they are more slight having a flat GP4 rim type profile, and are lighter than the mach 2's which are approx. 400 grams. The Mach 2's were used by the pro teams of the 1990's and are reputed to be a very strong rim. If the roads round your way are anything like the 'Roubaix cobbled' roads where i live, then i'd go with the Mach 2CD's.

The GL330 has exactly the same shape as GP4, SSC, Monthlery etc, ie the classic shallow box section sprint rims. Real weight is about 350g.

Whereas the Mach 2CD has the later deeper semi-aero profile like the current typical HP rims.

My choice would be the GL330. If you're going to use tubs, you might as well use the rim that looks it can be only for tubs.

Latest posts

Back