another old 'skar (Zaskar...)

benalibi

Dirt Disciple
Hello. I spent my winter break from study re-building an old friend/sometime foe. I've spent loads of time drooling over the bikes on this forum, particularly the early GT's; I thought I'd contribute, albeit in a selfish way. I scrimped and saved and bought this bike complete in 1992 and it's had a few different builds (and uses) over this period. This time I resolved to give it the parts that I always wanted but couldn't afford, i.e. XTR. It's not catalog correct and I'm still looking for some bits and pieces to finish it off close to such (or as a '92/'93 mix) but I thought I'd put it up and share the shine! Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    204.6 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    IMG_0042.jpg
    236.4 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0039.jpg
    IMG_0039.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 785
  • IMG_0043.jpg
    IMG_0043.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 785
Zaskar

Nice! Those are indeed shiny pictures :cool: :cool: :cool: .

I recognize the feeling of being able to buy bikes/frames/parts you could afford back in the day, I love it :D !

awesome! 91 92 zaskars are few and far between in australia! i like your build, very nice. suspension forks! no way! the rigid steel GT fork is perfect!

(i want a rigid fork for mine one day once i track one down)

thanks for your comments. first sunny day in a while! I did think about mag 21's (was the GT suspension spec option BITD...) but just another thing to constantly be scouring for parts over. When I finally put suspension on this bike, in the late 90's, a crack developed under the steerer tube (hence the additional welds and support) so don't want to risk it again. I always liked the raw feel this bike had rigid anyway. When you ride it well, it rewards you, otherwise it's a rough ride! I think you're correct Merckx with the lack of these in Oz. I haven't seen any around in Adelaide for years, even as commuters. Initially I had to settle for an 18" but was lucky to swap frames soon after purchase with a friends 16". I remember being told there was a limited supply when I bought it in 1992. If I see any decent forks in my travels I PM you... cheers.

I'm biased because my Zask looks just like yours......but......your Zaskar looks...

SUPERB. UTTERLY FANTASTIC. :cool: :D

Back