Can a full suss frame "warm up"?

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi

My full suss Marin has started creaking! I've replaced both the BB and Pedals but creaking persists! Sounds almost like its coming from the rear swing arm or the linkage somewhere. Weird thing is after 7 or 8 miles it dissapears and makes no noise at all for the remainder of the ride. Then next time I go out the same happens creaky to start then silent! Leads me to wondering is the frame warming up and creaking when cold? Has anyone else experienced this?

Weird!

Wook

Stop worrying and get it down to your local Marin dealer mate, lifetime warranty on the swing arm bearings if memory serves me right! ;)

In theory, but how old is your Marin? I knows LOTS of sold on Marins that dealers have sorted without batting an eyelid. Marin (or rather ATB Sales) are one of those companies that thankfully like to keep the end users happy :D

Not that old a 2008 rift zone. What if it's not the bearings or the swingarm would they charge me for their "diagnosis"?

Book it in for a suspected swing arm bearing warranty repair and state no further work without prior authorisation. If they baulk at that I'd find a more friendly Marin dealer!

If its something that needs fixed under warranty there should be no cost to you I would think----good luck

Just as an aside, be careful when you clean the bike. Jet wash on an area for more than a few seconds and you can strip the bearings of any grease they might have had. Good advice for any kind of bearing, normal or "sealed".

if you have the time/inclination, take it apart, clean it, lube it, put it back together.
too long i suffered a creaky bike until i stripped it, cleaned it, lubed the necessaries then put it back together. no squeakyness/creakyness.
but if a lifetime warranty is still plausible, go for this first in the case that taking the bike apart means invalidating the warranty.

Back