Peugeot Perthus Pro refurbishment, opinions needed on design

Re: Old Peugeots

Stigheed":3s3nlenp said:
531 Pro, you really wouldn't want to see me in an 80s Z-Peugeot (tight fitting) lycra top. Once upon a time the ladies may have been impressed, but not for a while since now.

Stigheed

Actually, I sympathise!

FREEDOM! :D

finally, we've managed to saw through the bars & escaped from prison.

pp4.jpg

The seatpost was completely welded into the seat tube! After cuting through the post and clamping it in the vice to free it, the post fractured, and started to fall apart. :eek: Rather than apply any adddtional force or twisting, i decided that i enjoyed the first cut so much, i'd cut it again! :x
Thankfully it eventually came out, but not without a good fight!

Now i have to start on the bottom bracket! :( The plastic cup (great idea someone at Shimano :roll:) is so well stuck that the tool simply stripped the teeth off....so it looks like the Pug will have to have another operation :x

pp5.jpg

operation

Those simplex seatposts are pretty thick aren't they! Good job with that. What have you got in mind for getting the BB out? You could try melting the plastic threaded section using a soldering iron or small blow torch (like those one's you get for Creme Brule's!). Bodgetastic but with care it can be enough to muller it sufficiently to be able to lever and bash it out of the BB shell. Either way its a ball ache...

Couldn't be as big a ball ache as that seat post! :LOL: not sure on a plan of attack, soldering iron would be as much heat as I'd like to apply, thinking maybe a dremmel, drilling and cutting gently. By the way, any idea what size of seatpost is in the Perthus? 26.4?

Did you by any chance get that in Ballymena? If so I just rang him about it today cos the ad is still on Gumtree......

I did indeed, stumbled across the advert a week or so ago, it had been up for sale for over a month, so it helped (together with the stuck seatpost etc. :x ) knock him down in price.

It's become a bit of a battle, me and the Peugeot, i've now got a stuck bottom bracket :x Its not going down without a fight, but i'm really determined now to get it totally stripped and refurbished! :D

Progress has been slow recently, the bottom bracket is still stuck (welded) in the frame :x gentle persuasion moves up a gear or two this weekend :twisted:

On a positive note, the forks are free with incident :D .....

pp6.jpg

....and i have loads of 600 parts (Cheers Greg) to make up a complete groupset.

pp7.jpg

Just need a seat post & bottom bracket now :roll:

Back