Alpinestars CroMega LX non E-stay

concordino

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
This is my, I think (not so sure) 1990 Alpinestars CroMega LX non E-stay version.

I briefly owned a CroMega DX Elevated chainstay model which i regret parting with over 10 years ago. It was probably a 92 as it was a full red colored model.

So ever since, had the fever to own another Alpinestars. Came across this on Ebay a while back.

It is nearly stock model from the components i believe. Only additions are Deore XT wheel QRs and XT pedals (bear trap). The only thing i am looking to change are the spokes.

Looking to put better quality stainless steel spokes to help bring back the shine on this beauty.

Any recommendations ? and answer to exact spoke sizing for anyone who has had a similar project ?

:)

Looks in Tip-Top condition to me?!? Why not try some AutoSol on the spokes? Brings them up like new!
If no success? Then change them ;)

If the spokes are the same as my cro mega they are not stainless but nickel plated or something similar, polishing them just takes off the plating and they go even rustier in a short space of time, best to replace them I think!!!

dicoverybmw":15ci68ho said:
If the spokes are the same as my cro mega they are not stainless but nickel plated or something similar, polishing them just takes off the plating and they go even rustier in a short space of time, best to replace them I think!!!

You are right, they are the nickel plated type, so replacing them is the way to go...

BTW did you change the spokes on your wheelset ? did you keep the same Araya rims ? and can you tell me the size of spoke you used ?

Thank You

I've not changed my spokes yet as only a couple are tarnished, the rims on mine are mavic 232 I think with it being a year or two younger than yours, I intend to keep the wheels "as is" as I'm a sucker for originality, but may build up a spare set with some nos DX hubs I have and a set of new mavic 317 rims in silver, can't help with the spoke length as I just get the local shop to do it.

I sometimes clean rusty spokes with thin foil. Normally that are old racers and there is something to say for preserving the originals.

Yep, 1990, which coincidentally is the best Vintage of Alpinestars mtb too.. :cool: :cool:

Looks in tip-top condition, especially the paint/decals.

Wouldn't mind one of these myself, just for hacking..

Back