KONA LAVADOME 1996

jimjimmy

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I'm new here but thought I'd show you my 1996 Kona Lavadome. Owned since new and upgraded bits here and there over the years.

Haven't ridden it for 4 years! Just got it back from my parents house, so what shall I service do you think?

Frame: Kona Trible Butted Cro-Mo

Fork: Marzocchi MX Comp 2004

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Race Face System
Handlebar: Club Roost Go fast II
Grips: Club Roost Clear
Barends: n/a

Brakes: Deore V brakes
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore

Shifters: Shimano Deore
Front Derailleur: Shimano STX
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: HG 30
Chain: IG
Cranks: Shimano STX
Crank Bolts:
Chainrings:
Chainring bolts:
Bottom Bracket: LP 26
Pedals: w8 Wellgo

Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 231
Hubs: STX
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Kenda
Tubes:

Saddle: Specialized body geo
Seatpost: Kona Race Light
Seatpost Binder: Kona Race Light

Weight: 28.5 LB

Pics to follow as it says I have to post once before I can include URLs!!

Cheers.

Here are the pics!

konaldnew1.jpg

konaldnew2.jpg

konaldnew3.jpg

I did need some help! What BB do I replace the LP 26 with?

Also I could do with some new chain rings and a cassette...again what do I replace them with? The chain is a IG 30 so will a HG40 cassette be ok?

Cheers.

Bb.. Frame width I'm 99% will be 68 mm.. Then just measure the axel from the bb when you get it out..Would guess 113mm

I have just modernised my 96 with a load of second hand Deore and made it 9x3 speed.

That frame colour was always class!

jimjimmy":3v5x35io said:
Weight: 28.5 Kg

Cheers.

Welcome aboard - need to find some lighter bits I think ;)

raidan73":20l55c3x said:
jimjimmy":20l55c3x said:
Weight: 28.5 Kg

Cheers.

Welcome aboard - need to find some lighter bits I think ;)

Thanks...yes I know...where to start?...maybe that saddle!

If I wanted new cranks, say deore, do I just change the BB also? Or are those STX worth keeping? What about the cassette...any complications?

Cheers.

I was joking! Think it probably weighs more like 28.5 lbs rather than kg :LOL:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the chainset you have on there to be honest. Personally I'd change the stem and bars to something more in keeping with the original bike and go back to cantis but its your bike and as long as its getting ridden that's the main thing :D

Not sure when Deore came in but would imagine its post square taper bb. Probably hollow tech so yes you would have to change or to the latest stuff is completely different with outboard bb.

But Agree with raiden there's no need to change the cranks unless you really want to. I have only done it as I wanted to stick a 48tooth on as mine is a roadrat and it's fun to try and overtake lycra roadies in shorts and t-shirt.

The LP26 was a pretty ropey bb back then and was a cost cutting thing to keep the bike at a price. As someone above said, 68mm shell, probably 113m (but double check) and go for a more up to date UN53 or UN54, readily available and not expensive. I think I'd avoid going Hollow Tech on that and find a period crankset to save some weight. The STX was pretty chunky with steel rings. Some thing like LX, XT or Race Face Turbine would suit it well in my opinion. Check the tyres too, I imagine they weigh a lot and you could save a chunk and improve performance with some modern Panaracers or Maxxis. The stem looks too long to be combined with the Marzocchis and Go Fast bar, I thing 100 or 110 max would improve the handling.
Nice bike in the classic "Orange Lava" - Kona sold shed loads of them that year, I'd love to know where they've all gone!

Back