Anyone found the olympic's getting cyclists greater respect?

that's a real shame, I've been out on the road bike sat/sun/mon & I'm sure people had been staying behind for much longer & passing wider, I was doing 20 in a 30, and the cars just hung back and didn't go past despite nothing coming in the other direction.

gtRTSdh":2qnsvr0q said:
that's a real shame, I've been out on the road bike sat/sun/mon & I'm sure people had been staying behind for much longer & passing wider, I was doing 20 in a 30, and the cars just hung back and didn't go past despite nothing coming in the other direction.

I get that a lot when riding on the road, I just put it down to the fact that most people have forgotten how to overtake safely... just like they've forgotten how to look in their rear view mirrors and forgotten how to use their indicators.

As a frequent "moron steel box driver", I have noticed the increase in riders on the road though. I do hope at least some of them stick with it.

Tazio":gsqdf635 said:
And a hell of a lot of good quality second hand bikes up for sale over the next twelve months. :D

Yes, looking forward to this!!

Charlieboy28":gsqdf635 said:
I havent linked it to the olympics but the good ones do seem to have got better giving more room and waiting to overtake. The idiots are as idiotic as ever. The bigger and more dangerous the vehicle the bigger the idiot it seems too

BMW X3 = times three bigger idiot
BMW X5 = times five bigger idiot
BMW X6 = times six bigger idiot

NeilM":gsqdf635 said:
As a frequent "moron steel box driver", I have noticed the increase in riders on the road though. I do hope at least some of them stick with it.

Yes I've got three of the damn things but have done more miles on my bike(s) this year than in the car!

can't say ive noticed a change in drivers attitudes, but its good to see an increase in the number of people on bikes.
a bike is the only form of transport that will be around a lot longer than any fuel fed vehicle.

weeman_mtb":3rumhfkw said:
Another nope, a woman nearly knocked me off at a roundabout this morning on my way to work.

Saw me clearly as she approached and then carried on as if I wasn't there, obviously not a fan of the cycling.

wrong, deffo a fan, she just wanted to get a closer look.

I haven't noticed a change in car driver attitude, but have noticed the increase in buses for the Olympics.
I've experienced crazy over-taking manoeuvres by Olympic buses a couple of times now. Both near traffic islands. Are these regular London bus drivers or recruits from elsewhere?

Question: Why are double-decker bus exhausts located at primary overtaking position?

Problem is some of the roadies are becoming more super focussed and less tolerant of us lesser cyclists. Roadbike commuter shot past me when i stopped at a junction with mm's to spare, scared the bejeezus out of me and risked death jousting with the cars on the junction. Head down, flat out, not even a nod of recognition of a fellow cyclist, barsteward !!!

videojetman":38biy4no said:
a bike is the only form of transport that will be around a lot longer than any fuel fed vehicle.

As a horse owner and rider, as well as a cyclist, I have to disagree with you there. Once the oil runs out it'll be back to horses; and without oil, tyres and brake blocks will be a thing of the past.

No real change in attitude towards cyclists noticed here......have noticed lots more cyclists out and about though.

Also got to ride part of the way home last night with the Czech mountain biking team which was quite cool.....along Southend seafront. Seen quite a few team riders around and about recently - the Hadleigh farm course is only a few miles up the road so I guess they were out for a bit of light training. Not a lot of hills along the seafront tho'...... :)

**** it, I take it all back, some middle aged ball bag in a merc van nearly knocked me off last night, luckily there was a turn left lane for me to get into instead of being crushed. . . His number plate was WN52 SNU. He wasn't quite so bold when I was face to face with him as I caught up when he was stuck in a queue at the next roundabout.. . .

Back