MacRetro National Innerleithen. Chat thread.

Someone give me a heads up a week to go...need to build the bike up :D Parts bin Yo incoming. Shabby chic is the theme

and me - have nothing rideable at the moment other than the racer (full sus has a flat and even with out that I'm not sure it is ridable :) )

Seriously unsure about what to bring. Can some one clarify the suspension requirements? Is it really that neccessary?

The Ken":234q5a5b said:
and me - have nothing rideable at the moment other than the racer (full sus has a flat and even with out that I'm not sure it is ridable :) )

Seriously unsure about what to bring. Can some one clarify the suspension requirements? Is it really that neccessary?

Sus is not mandatory, but anything you can do to lessen the blow will help. FWIW velo done it rigid with super skinny tyres and prehistoric grips, cannae remember what his gloves were like. He was sore though. So any measure you can take I'd take it. I'd not say the trail obstacles necessitated sus but the hardpack.

Radoslaw":234q5a5b said:
So you bought that Yo Kaiser? I'll get my Ti-Fat.

Yes Yo is sat waiting to be built :D Pile of stuff waiting, Judy SL, CK headset, M900 drivetrain, some ringle or control tech, Flite. Just need to decide upon wheels.

On the Southern Upland Way there are long sections like the cobbled road from belgium they dug up and faithfully rebuilt in some car testing centre.
Its fine riding up hill on it but as you try to build speed coming down it SERIOUSLY rattles every component on both the bike and you. Vibration 'white finger' is nothing, everything will become numb and unless your adept at riding light your tyres could suffer pinch flats.
On Red route descent there is lots of rockgardens, drop offs and steep unforgiving terrain which will rattle you again and strain your tendons/muscles as you grip the bars/brakes for dear life !
I hope that answers your question shown below TK ;)

It is great fun with suspension, just ask kaiser and ZZ, they were have a whale of a time :D

This time I'll have suspension too if rather retro.

In the official thread we recommended suspension, we wouldn't have done so if we thought it wasn't needed. If people think we're lying or they're harder than us then thats their choice but a long day out on a boneshaker is going to take its toll.

Scenery and riding are great and exciting but comfort for duration is adviseable.

It could be a day full of comedy for me. I'm in a quandary whether to ride flat pedals for ease of escape when I fall or clipless to help on climbs. Bearing in mind I've just gone back to trying clipless after 20 years I'll decide nearer the day depending how I'm getting on with them again.

Try those ones that are flat one side SPD the other, might be a goog compromise. SPD's will be fine for most of it, lots of climbing and SUW is not technical riding, flats only a possible good idea for final red descent if your confidence on techy stuff is limited. ;)

Back