GT Peace 9r SS

TD75

Retro Guru
Thinking of buying a used one. Anyone had one? Are they any good? I fancied trying 29er SS. Would I be better off with a kona unit

Try a search on here using the search function at the top. A few have appeared and seem to go down well.

Thanks for that. I did a search. Seems like the only weak spot is the eccentric bottom bracket. I just fancied have a go with a 29er. Is it going to be much different than a cyclocross bike (I have a Surly crosscheck)? I haven't been Mountain Biking for many years, so tech has moved on. Wanted something that I didn't have to clean much.

Never used a cyclocross bike in my life, so wouldnt know.

It should be a fun, not particularly light bike, that as rigid will let you go on and off road as fast as the gearing allows.

If its not too much go for it. Wont know until you try.

Some of the MacRetro might be able to advise if they see this topic.

Clockworkgazz had the GT and now runs a geared Karate Monkey, and Kaiser has a ss Kona Unit.

The older Units were made with some nice tubes (DEDACCIAI) and I believe you can get sliding dropouts with a mech hanger, which would allow you to run gears if you choose. Not sure what the GT has, but the Karate Monkey also allows ss or geared.

I am running a ss monkey just now and love it.
There are certainly plenty options. :D

Love the look of the Kona Unit, and I've been a fan of Kona's for a long time. Big fan of Surly products as well. I've got a cross check. Although the paint finish on it is a little disappointing. Had it six years and it's rusting in places.

I'm not sure about the Gt peace 9r single speed. I like the look of it. But I'm concerned about the eccentric bottom bracket. I live in Torquay in Devon. It's not flat here. I'm going to be standing on the pedals all the time. I've heard the eccentric bottom bracket slips sometimes. The price also seems a little expensive. It's mint condition but at £300, is that too much? Seems like sliding dropouts are a better design?

Of course maybe I should wait for the Surly Kranpus. Any ideas if that's going to be single speed compatible?

Back