1992 Rocky Mountain Vertex (steel) Build

Hello, I've been searching around for some info on the 1992 steel vertex and this is one of a handful of threads I've found.

I'm looking at buying one of these frames, but it won't be coming with either the original rigid fork or any sort of short-travel vintage suspension fork.

I've got a ~1996 Judy but it is 80 mm, and I'd actually prefer to put on a modern 80 mm fork (can't do a proper period correct build anyway since don't have the time or money).

Would anyone here have any thoughts on how the handling of this bike would be compromised by the extra height (ie axle-crown distance) of an 80 mm fork?

Thanks!

K.":6rumqqv0 said:
Hello, I've been searching around for some info on the 1992 steel vertex and this is one of a handful of threads I've found.

I'm looking at buying one of these frames, but it won't be coming with either the original rigid fork or any sort of short-travel vintage suspension fork.

I've got a ~1996 Judy but it is 80 mm, and I'd actually prefer to put on a modern 80 mm fork (can't do a proper period correct build anyway since don't have the time or money).

Would anyone here have any thoughts on how the handling of this bike would be compromised by the extra height (ie axle-crown distance) of an 80 mm fork?

Thanks!

I hadn't noticed that my old thread had re-appeared! After taking mine for a decent offroad ride today, there is no denying that the front end is pretty low and the steering is pretty old school (my 'normal' rides are a Chromag hardtail with Lyric fork and a Giant Glory!) so I can't imagine that going to an 80mm fork would totally ruin the ride. That said, I'd have thought that something like an old 60mm travel Marzocchi Z2 might be a better bet.

that needs a black Syncros seatpost to finish her off nicely. And maybe a Turbo saddle, if a Flite doesn't agree with your bum?

walleater":1jt9rno6 said:
K.":1jt9rno6 said:

Thanks!

I hadn't noticed that my old thread had re-appeared! After taking mine for a decent offroad ride today, there is no denying that the front end is pretty low and the steering is pretty old school (my 'normal' rides are a Chromag hardtail with Lyric fork and a Giant Glory!) so I can't imagine that going to an 80mm fork would totally ruin the ride. That said, I'd have thought that something like an old 60mm travel Marzocchi Z2 might be a better bet.

From a little more reading, I think I've found that I can lower my Fox 80 from 80 to 60 mm, which should do the trick quite nicely. The seller has a Z2 available as well if my Fox doesn't work out.

A brief update.... I know the bike came with a rigid fork but that's just boring! So I got my hands on a Manitou 2. Also swapped the brake levers out for XC Pro because the Shimano ones from that era sucked, and the Suntour ones didn't.

Attachments

• 20121219_202321 (Medium).jpg
    20121219_202321 (Medium).jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 600
So until I can find a 28 hole rear hub at the right price, this is probably as far as it's going to get for the while:

Attachments

• 20130103_134525 (Medium).jpg
    20130103_134525 (Medium).jpg
    156.9 KB · Views: 518
  • 20130103_134627 (Medium).jpg
    20130103_134627 (Medium).jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 518
I just love these Rockies, yours is great!

Also a fantastic cockpit with Syncros black stem, silver bar, XC pro levers and XT thumbies, excellent!

i was skeptical from the first pic of the fork swap. but with the outdoor pics, the bike looks alright with the Manitou 2 as it goes quite well together. that being said, if mine, i think i'd still keep the original rigid forks on it. but that's just me. ;)

Back