Schwinn 4 Banger to Straight 6..?

If that's classed as a medium i think mine was 17.5 but i'm taller so should be spot on for you.....great bike, very light, feels like more than 4 inches on the trail..........i tried altering the back end height with the trunion, worth doing 1st before you buy another shock, yes Risse did some that would have fitted i think...as for sticking a longer fork on, to be honest as the head angle is laid back a lot all ready 100mm fork is best depending on the overall fork length of course....some 100mm are longer /shorter overall than others..........i had a Psylo on there and dialed it down to about 110mm with a good sag.

Stock spring was way too soft and bobbed all over the show...got a 50lb stronger spring for it and it all came together........meaning i could climb and all the travel wasn't used up just sitting the thing :D

Bike is bought and paid for and will be with me by the end of the week with a bit of luck and a following wind ;)

I've been giving it some thought and I think I'll just swap out the rear spring for a stiffer one (if I need to!), rather than fitting a longer shock. Luckily for me in this instance I'm pretty skinny for my height, so the stock spring should be towards the stiff side for me anyway, fingers crossed :)

good man, when i used to ride mine it used to be with guys with more travel.......i used to expect to bottom out onmany rides but didn't and kept up with them :D

You will need a mate to measure how much push rod has been used just sitting on the bike at 1st..but you'll know when yousiton it and ride it 1st time if it needs a stronger spring............also having the correct string stiffness (you can pre load them a bit too, but mine was still too soft) you will then be able to use the rebound range more effectively.

Here a link to info on shock lengths that seems to make sence if you change your mind at some point.good luck.....just don't stick too long a fork up front.
http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/schwinn-4-ban ... 93415.html

greenstiles":1o3ltt81 said:
good man, when i used to ride mine it used to be with guys with more travel.......i used to expect to bottom out onmany rides but didn't and kept up with them :D

You will need a mate to measure how much push rod has been used just sitting on the bike at 1st..but you'll know when yousiton it and ride it 1st time if it needs a stronger spring............also having the correct string stiffness (you can pre load them a bit too, but mine was still too soft) you will then be able to use the rebound range more effectively.

Here a link to info on shock lengths that seems to make sence if you change your mind at some point.good luck.....just don't stick too long a fork up front.
http://forums.mtbr.com/gt/schwinn-4-ban ... 93415.html

Thanks mate :)

As I said before, I want the back end to be quite stiff (personal preference), so I'll only be running it with about 20% sag (if that) instead of the normal 25%. Forks are Rockshox Duke SL with 100m travel and a fairly low A-C length.

Looking at the rear shock again:

main.php

It looks like I could quite easily fit a longer spring, which would mean that the trunnion is higher up on the rear shock, and in turn raising the rear end slightly and tightening up the head angle.

The spring that's fitted looks pretty short, so I'm not sure how much adjustment I'd have on the trunnion 'as is'..

I was thinking of fitting a spring for a 1.75 or 2 inch stroke shock..? Maybe I'll treat her to a titanium one ;)

hi just moving the whole shock up /down the trunion will raise or lower back end...........no need for longer spring to do that. Plunger/push rod will still be same length so same travel of course. your better having a stock spring length that will go through i'ts proper compression than a longer spring with spare unusable travel i'm guessing, not 100% sure on that............perhaps if you are after a stiffer spring and a longer one but same pounds it may work the same??

but as i say you can higher/lower whole shock on trunion to alter angles

is judy sl and air fork ? if so a coil fork up front is best on these or a better quality air fork..........the rear end is so plush you see, think i ditched my air fork straight away as it held back the ride seriously. Nice pair of Psylo's or Fox coil forks would match very well or a modern good air fork.

greenstiles":58b1g5k6 said:
is judy sl and air fork ? if so a coil fork up front is best on these or a better quality air fork..........the rear end is so plush you see, think i ditched my air fork straight away as it held back the ride seriously. Nice pair of Psylo's or Fox coil forks would match very well or a modern good air fork.

They're Dukes, not Judys ;) - but I think they're air forks anyway. Here's the bike in all it's glory - this is a picture from the previous owner (the mudguards and various light mounts are going straight in the bin, and I've got a 90mm Thomson stem to swap for the Titec one):

main.php

Back