Cannondale CAAD 3

Ian Raleigh":bb3e0xj0 said:
thebuny":bb3e0xj0 said:
Finally done! 7.6 Kg or 16.7 lbs for now but still trying to find something to make it under 7.5
Very nice Cannondale :cool:

Talking of your bike being lightish! my 1983 Motobecane weighs just 6.4kg[14.08lbs] and no carbon ;)

ian.

For my budget it is super light. I will start now a recovery of a dh bike so all funds are direct to there :)

there is some link for that motobecane?

Wow, that is beautiful, love the Time carbon fork, mine came with a lousy steel fork. Any chance of a photo from the front, has it the older style Cannondale badge?

cloonaghpat":1eao4hgh said:
Wow, that is beautiful, love the Time carbon fork, mine came with a lousy steel fork. Any chance of a photo from the front, has it the older style Cannondale badge?

Thanks!

This frame came without fork and I had to find some. Not very easy to find and this Time was 3 cm shorter so I had to make an extra part from aluminium.

Still I'm looking for a new fork that can be lighter than that time (456g) but I cannot find any....

I'll pass in garage, take a photo and than I will post here.

Yes, Saeco had frames like these built up with Shimano in 1997. The seatstays are not curved like the later CAAD 4s. Mario Cipollini preferred the CAAD 3s for sprinting - more rigid. I think he kept using them even when the team had moved to CAAD 4. They are a lively bike. Looks great with the Campagnolo parts. Could it be earlier than 1999? I think the 1997 Giro was won on a Cannondale CAAD 3 - Ivan Gotti I think.

Regards,

Pat

Like you say this frame is really stiff! I have a friend with a CAAD4 and he complains that his one is stiff but when we changed bikes mine was much stiffer. After some km's it starts to be difficult to ride if the road is not smooth. I had a set of cinelli integralter stem/handlebar and had to change to see if with some carbon i get some confort.

Currently I'm looking for a modern campagnolo record chainset (ultra torque) because this old one bends a lot so all power that should go to the frame stays in the crankset because of the frame stiffness. A new saddle (SMP) can be a solution for the comfort.

About the age I think 1999 or 2000 but it cammed to my hands last year still inside the original box and never was used :D

Have you seen the website vintagecannondale.com - it is excellent. My bike is actually 1999 :oops: There are some great pictures of the coda cranks Saeco were using in the 90s.

cloonaghpat":120h3v8u said:
Have you seen the website vintagecannondale.com - it is excellent. My bike is actually 1999 :oops: There are some great pictures of the coda cranks Saeco were using in the 90s.

Did not know that wedsite. Many thanks!
I cannot finde there in catalogs my colour scheme so i will see at home the BB numbers and try to see the year.

I have 2 Coda spider cranks (MTB) and one of them never used for sale but my dream was always to find that road saeco version. The new ones are BB30 so i cannot have them. The old ones are super expensive :( and already in that time they weight 750 grams (with bb)!

Back