alfine hubs & croix de fer v alfine day one

samsbike

Retro Guru
I am thinking of getting a bike with an alfine hub - the 8 speed version - anyone have any experience with them.

Also, any thoughts of a croix de fer or alfine day one?

thanks

sam

I love my Croix De Fer, easily put over 1k miles on it this year so far. Its no lightweight, tipping the scales at 24lbs and the brakes take a bit of getting used to once they're bedded in (over-the-handlebar-tastic). But there's a little room for lightening and as far as touring goes its ready to roll..

Never had an alfine, have considered it though.

ride both if you can & don't listen to Ross, it not made of iron. Its 725 goodness..

Alfine's are pretty easy to set up, buttery smooth gear changing, the shifter looks a bit cheap..

I really fancy hub gears, but it weighs a tonne and rotational weight to boot..

Saying that, my mate has one with eccentric bottom bracket, so super smooth lines...rear mechs always look awkward and crappy!!! :cool:

My experience with my Alfine has been very good, I've had it for 3 years & mainly use it for city riding & commuting. I think I've easily put in excess of 7000 miles on it & no major problems. When I got it I had to fiddle around with the wire & shifter to get it set up & then the run in period where the hub is slightly noisy but after that I've done nothing to it & its been silky smooth with silent gear shifts.

Can also be taken off road but the hubgear community seems split by this, some don't recommend it & some say it's fine. I've used it lightly off road with no problems.

I think the only drawback would be its weight compared to a 'normal' derailleur setup, but I found I was much faster on my Alfine than on my derailleur setup.

Back