Pace RC100 "Monster X"

gil_m

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Something I have been meaning to do for a lot of years, but it has taken me that long to find a set of the elusive Magura HS66 brakes...

Well I finally found a set and wired them up, bike had been run as a Single speed (ENO rear hub) but guess my knees are getting a little tired these days and I like the option of a bigger gear for the road

One of the last RC100 frames, RC0368 and left as I bought it, hate taking away it's previous history, so tatty paint and scratched decals will stay :)

Came up with the quirky idea of running a Rock Shox poploc lever rather than a big thumbshifter so after some swearing and a lot of wedging I managed it. I now have a nice 36:18 or 46:18 with the aid of a Rohloff tensioner

Tires should give me a nice fast road roll with options for "detours" on the way home from the forest. It had to have Brooks Leather bar tape to round it off

After it's quick test ride it feels great, I will find some time for it this week and pop by Adrian and see what he makes of it :)

Attachments

• DSC00904sm.jpg
    DSC00904sm.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC00903sm.jpg
    DSC00903sm.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC00896sm.jpg
    DSC00896sm.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 1,055
  • DSC00898sm.jpg
    DSC00898sm.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,055
Looks good, but I'm not a fan of the scratched decals. If you ever change your mind about those, I know a guy who's pretty good at making new ones.

Never heard about the HS66 before. What's special about them?

The Magura HS66 brakes were basically a hydraulic road brake lever, they were produced in small numbers and fell out of favour as the road STI levers began to take over

The road bike scene moved away from down tube gear levers and onto STI levers and the Magura HS66 died off...

Tyres, will report more later, nice and fast on the roads and hard pack trails, can only see them working well

HS66, not seen them for years.
Nearly snagged a pair on the 'bay about 6 years ago for 30quid.
hope your's were similarly priced! i saw some go for silly money, i think tandem riders like them because of the power.

Back