Carlton Continental

Had a few more hours over the last couple days.

Cleaned all bearings and refitted the forks.

Mudguards were completely cleaned and de-rusted, have come up quite nice.

230720121481.jpg

230720121482.jpg

I'm planning to completely build her back to a ride able state, as i want to start doing some road riding while the weathers good. I'll do a full strip and re-furb over the winter.

Only problem i have is the chrome on both rims is completely shot, so i picked up some satin chrome spray paint to give them a respray.

Won't be respraying the rims, as i found a set of rigida 27x1 1/4 wheels for £48 posted.

Just need to pick up a 5 speed screw-on cassette and i'll be sorted.

Tempted to 'klunkerise' this for the next few weeks, then do a full re-furb in the winter.

You obviously know what you are doing ( I don't know whether I'd have the balls to strip that mech!), and I think it will look nice when you've finished what you've started there......I personally like bikes in original paint, with the odd scrape.....you can't fake age and patina!
Well, you can, but it looks crap! Yours, however, will look cool, ride well, and not be too 'knickable'.......

Didn't get the rigida wheels.

Instead these were brought to my attention by a mate who works at the LBS.

040820121519.jpg

040820121520.jpg

040820121521.jpg

Campagnolo rims on shimano 600 hubs, couple slight dings but spin forever and came with the 8speed hyperglide cassette, which i'll change for a 5speed with spacers to run with the benelux mech.

Thats coming together well. I love the lustre of the old frame. Classic Carlton look form the 1960s. Unbeatable.

Thats coming together well. I love the lustre of the old frame. Classic Carlton look form the 1960s. Unbeatable.

Back