Trek design process

Not got time to watch the full thing now, but im a product design/development engineer with getting on for 10 years experience in solidworks.

So should be able to enjoy whats on show when i watch it later.

Trek design process.

Hi :D
Not a day for riding today... so watched the screencast.
The processes Trek are using are not disimilar to the ones we use in Automotive design.
Starting with the theme boards and target customer. We give these customers a name that sticks through the progam!. ( interesting to see that they're mood boards have cars on. Having a good amount of bikers in the studio...ours always feature a bike somewhere!! )The next stage like Trek is sketching. Our sketches our often done on a tablet screen rather than markers and layout paper now. Some times though, a simple sketch can relay an idea just effectively.
Next stage is were I come in. From these sketches we make 4:10 scale models of a number design themes, much in the same way that Trek build a 'rough' prototype. To record the surfaces from the scale models, we scan using a piece of equipment known as GOM or photogrammetry scanning. ( check out; www.gom.com )
These scans take upwards of a million points from the model. It is then turned into a polygon model that is exported into Alias in an stl. format.
These surfaces are then remodelled in alias to check many of the things that Trek do in solidworks. The digital models can then be remilled onto the clay as a scale or upsized into fullsize using a 5- Axis milling machine.
These models can also be used to form rapid prototype SLA versions or complex parts such as headlamps or IP features. The pologon models can also be exported into Showcase for realtime animation ( think granturismo but quicker!! ). Bunkspeed is another aplication that does this.

We use clay models in development as a skilled clay modeller can make a change quicker than building from scratch in Alias. Some of these employee's have 20+ experience in this area and have worked on all manner of stuff!! :cool:

The GOM equipment only takes a couple of hours to capture these changes and the alais model can be accurate to the Clay by close of play the same day. The GOM scanner can also measure deformation, something I'm sure Trek do. Basically you scan the item first...say a prototype frame.....ride the sh!t out of it and bring it back. We'll scan it again in the same set up rig and compare the 2 models. The software will analyse the data and present a rotatable image of deformation. This can measure down to 0.04mm deviation. We've used this for rally cars!

Sorry for all the waffle.... hope this helps :D
Those that have been design students in the past will know how difficult it is to get process information sometimes. The Trek screencast is a really good insight...just wish we had stuff like that 12 years ago when I was a student!!

Good luck :D
boy"O"boy

Back