Whooooop! Finally sourced a tiny 98 Kona Explosif :D

Nice touch up, good work! What does the rear end look like now? That looked the worst.
What size is this, and how tall are you? It looks tiny. Will it be an XC bike or more of a playbike?

Thanks! It's a tiny 13.25" seat tube due to someone lopping 3/4" off :evil: - no problem for me though as I'm only 5'2". It'll be an XC build - reckon the poor thing needs a dignified retirement.

The rear end is very much improved over its original state but the gouges and dents remain - it's crying out for a strip and respray eventually but the blue paint on the few undamages areas is absolutely gorgeous and I really want to keep it original. What you can't see in the photos is the extensive grazing and cracking to the lacquer on the main tubes and decals, which hopefully I can minimise with T-cut.

I'll post some 'warts 'n' all' pics of the back end soon ;)

Here you go - hopefully these pics will show the remaining dents/gouges a bit better . . .

Stays and brake mounts . . .

p4pb8487489.jpg

Battle scarred down tube . . .

p4pb8487488.jpg

Non-driveside chain stay (which looked like it had been run over by a bus :cry: )

p4pb8487487.jpg

Forks cleaned up nicely . . .

p4pb8487486.jpg

Those konas, especially in that size with P2s were a great choice for trials bikes. Not really explosif (bit pricey to use for that!) but certainly some of the lower models.

Think the paint has come up great. Did you prime the areas first? And what type of paint are you using?

Yes, I reckon it's definitely had a previous life as a trials ride although, as you say, why someone would use an Explosif is beyond me.

The paint used is just standard artists acrylic which blends in and T-cuts to a shine nicely. I didn't use a specific primer - just used a thin coat of the same white paint as a base.

Bit of a hiccup in the build now though . . . I've bought the wrong length spokes (began to lace up the rear wheel yesterday and it didn't take long to realise that I'd taken the printed ERTO measurement instead of ERD making my spokes about 30mm too long :oops: :roll: ). Fingers crossed the replacements should be winging their way to me today, along with a matching front hub from Germany, so I'd like to think it'll be up and running by the weekend :p

just out of interest what does that frame weigh ?? - my other half has a 14'' kileuau (sp?!) that she's had since new, not the lightest bike on the block though..

The bare frame weighs just a tad over 4lbs - was surprised how heavy the Indys are though . . . may keep my eye out for a pair of Bombers after all.

I thought itd be lighter than that - always wanted an explosif (but always ended up buying the hei hei!)

I dont think the bomber would be much better weight wise - again my other half has them on hers fantastic forks but very heavy...

Bombers will add weight but not that much and for their preformance would be the first upgrade I would get. Indy is quite a low end for such a great frame, without being rude :oops:

Over 4lbs? that IS quite chunky... my Kilauea is a 18" and comes in at 4.3lbs (1971.5kg), and thats not even fancy tubing, just double butted Kona tubing

Still, is a lovely thing and you have brought it back a treat

G

Back