Zaskar LE Purple Ano

Jaz

Devout Dirtbag
You know when a workmate says 'can you take a look at my old bike I never ride?' and it turns out to be something nice?
He's only early 20's and said his uncle gave it to him, I was a bit shocked when he turned up with this as I was expecting some bso like usual.

It was a bit mucky but I gave it a quick clean and it was pretty much mint under the muck. It has some nice parts (and some poor, modern tyres/saddle and yucky plastic pedals)
Everything was in good condition, apart from the freehub which slips intermittently. It's a Suntour XC Pro, I'm assuming the micro drive version as it doesn't have a lockring.
Are the freehubs user servicable? Or easy to get hold of and replace?
Any ideas on year? The dropout seems to indicate 1993.

Photo0143.jpg

Photo0144.jpg

Photo0145.jpg

Photo0146.jpg

Photo0147.jpg

Photo0148.jpg

Photo0149.jpg

Photo0150.jpg

Photo0151.jpg

Photo0152.jpg

Photo0153.jpg

Photo0155.jpg

Photo0156.jpg

What a Nice Colour/Bike/Frame!!

For sure you have there a great bike there and that I love!!

Congratulations and check the S/N under the BB first ;)

Nuno

cool! he has a good uncle, that is for sure!

is the serial has a '93" in it yep, that means it was fabricated then. the two digits before indicate the month.

with a bit of parts rationalisation and some knobbies...that would make an absolute pearl of a off roader.

Jaz":1sc4pcps said:
Everything was in good condition, apart from the freehub which slips intermittently. It's a Suntour XC Pro, I'm assuming the micro drive version as it doesn't have a lockring.
Are the freehubs user servicable? Or easy to get hold of and replace?

I doubt it's the freehub slipping, far more likely is an old chain and cassette that have stretched and worn too much.

It's not micro drive, it's standard size judging by the rear dérailleur (long arm) and crank (110bcd). Suntour doesn't use lockrings, the final cog acts as the lockring, although it could even be a freewheel not a cassette.

Photo the rear hub out of the frame so we can see.

It's not the chain slipping Pete, it's the freehub not engaging. You pedal forward, the cranks spin but the wheel doesn't & the freehub/cassette turns. Then it works fine again for a bit, plus it does it when the bikes stationary.
I think I'll just try to double chainwhip the cassette off, remove the axle & freehub then see if I can flush it through. Hopefully it's just dried up grease like inside the brakes & shifters.
Thanks for the info on the Suntour cassettes & microdrive stuff :cool:

The serial starts 0293 so Feb 93.

The self energizing brakes had me stumped for a bit as one side had loads of tension, the other side none. Realized they slide down on themselves & one side had seized, sorted that & they work now.

The Pace forks still work & rebound back, stem seems Ti like the bars but the welding is not too neat on it, campagnolo hs again was fine with a bit of grease.

I think I'll put some off road tyres on it, take the bar ends off & put a decent saddle on. Then take a couple of pics before I give it back to him.

Back