Chainstay mounted brake and crank clearance issue.

Some Guy

Retro Guru
Hi
I got this a little while ago, poorly listed on eBay. I was looking for a bargain road bike to (maybe) replace my postmans bike, an be used as my everyday hack bike.

I've been going through it replacing parts, cables, chain and tyres, an getting it rideable. It had obviously been left rotting in a shed for some time.

Now I also have a Campag and Mavic starfish cranks which I really quite fancy fitting to this. But I can't get it to fit with the brake calliper mounted on the chainstay bridge. The chainring bolts catch the brake. The brake is an old aero jobbie.

Are there any alternative options on the brake calliper or any little tricks that will open up options on fitting cranks with a different bcd? I've taken a few pics to try and explain. Also I think this is 1990s? If any one has any idea if it's early middle or late that would be appreciated and help with component choice.
2d1362t.jpg
35k6i6d.jpg
34ytmh2.jpg

Cheers.

I believe that you need a center pull caliper otherwise known as a U-brake under there. something like the old Mafac racer. You could also look of an old Shimano AX roller cam brake caliper and or the Campagnolo delta. All of these brakes very greatly in price but would probably give you the clearance you are looking for. If possible you should only widen the bb as a last resort.

Some sidepull brakes had the cable attachment on the other side which would solve the problem and be much cheaper than the alternatives mentioned above!

Longer bb axle

Pretty much every other chainset made to the stronglight has a larger bcd which may help.

Weinmann 500 should slot in there nicely if it's a nutted jobby, small and the cable goes on the other side :)

Shaun

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated!

I should rule out the Campagnolo Delta type brakes, they'll likely cost more than the bike in total so far. :) Although the Shimano centre pull, aero brakes look interesting. But I'm not sure about the height of them (above the main pivot/fixing bolt). They possIbly look a bit too tall for the head tube, and would possibly extend forward from the bottom bracket??

So I'm going to try a cheap and light Weinmann 500 type calliper on the rear. An keep the Gran Compe aero calliper on the front. So I'm on the lookout for one of these with the cable guide on the right hand side. If any one has one please feel free to PM me.

Next step is to have a look (probably inside the bottom bracket?) and work out the cable run for the internal gear cable. It enters in the down tube without an outer, and exits at the end of the chainstay.

Back