Campag BB spindles

ScillySuffolk

Retro Guru
Can anyone tell me what the next size down from 111mm is?

After much head scratching it has occurred to me why my front mech is a bit "off" (it can be reluctant to shift up to the big dog and even with the adjuster screw right out, I still get chain rub in first when on the granny ring): the ovalised tubeset means that the braze-on mech sits a few mm further in than it would on a round tube.

Just when I think I've got everything fettled: AAARGH!

Is the next one down 109mm........... the symmetric Pista ?

Depending on the frame, back in the 70's this would usually bring the inner ring in against the chainstay :(

Shaun

Thanks.

That sounds expensive, not to mention scarce!

I've got 6/7mm clearance twixt ring and frame at the moment, so if I can source one at a price I can afford I'll give it a whirl.

Campyoldy has a 109mm BB (italian) for £70 :)

Won't something modern from Miche fit? Ofmega also might have something they have made. What frame is it?

Shaun

I'll take two!

I'll certainly look into non-Campag alternatives, it's not as if anyone will know.

The frame was built by Ian May and as far as I'm able to find out, he had the tubes ovalised himself: it's not Speedstream as it is a lugged construction.

What is curious is that he used an Italian BB.

If it's a cup and cone BB just swap the spindle around and see if it lines up better..........the left foot might stick out a bit but should be a pointer at what might fit.

Shaun

is there a reason you can't put a cheaper spindle in with the campagnolo cups and bearing .
cheers dave

Midlife":23x176h2 said:
If it's a cup and cone BB just swap the spindle around and see if it lines up better..........the left foot might stick out a bit but should be a pointer at what might fit.

Shaun

Genius! I'll do that.

dave72":1q2nvws7 said:
is there a reason you can't put a cheaper spindle in with the campagnolo cups and bearing .
cheers dave

None that I can think of. As I said above, no-one will know.

Back