TI Raleigh SBDU 531 Track Frame 1975

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
Just acquired another Ilkeston SBDU TI Raleigh. This time, it's a 531 Team Pro Track Frame. This is now sitting side by side with my 753 TI Team Pro Road Frame.

The SB serial number is SB447 which dates it to 1975 - 5 years before my 753 and not long after the SBDU started. The seller had this frame since 1980 and claims it was ridden in that year at Leicester in the Junior National Track championships and won. I can't tell if that is true but it's nice to think it is.

Probably going to build with Campag Record Pista, Cinelli and Brooks, but haven't got a clue where I'm now going to get the money for two builds.

http://raleigh-sb4059.com/2012/08/01/so ... -raleighs/

Attachments

• TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SBDU 1975.jpg
    TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SBDU 1975.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 3,018
  • TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SB Serial.jpg
    TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame SB Serial.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,016
  • TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame Ilkeston Built.jpg
    TI Raleigh 531 Track Frame Ilkeston Built.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 3,017
sweet!
i used to have this (should never have sold it :cry: ) SB436

sbdu4.jpg

sbdu2.jpg

oldmuthariley":30yk7r2d said:
sweet!
i used to have this (should never have sold it :cry: ) SB436

sbdu4.jpg

sbdu2.jpg

Wow, coincidence! probably built at the same time. It's a shame you sold it. I won't be parting with mine though!

Nice :)

Smack in the middle of my cycling days....few years before Raleigh plonked track frames under Beryl Burton and the like.

Don't remember any junior riders with a Raleigh frame but memory fades....

If you don't have the money I could always take it off your hands :)

Shaun

Midlife":14441m6p said:
Nice :)

Smack in the middle of my cycling days....few years before Raleigh plonked track frames under Beryl Burton and the like.

Don't remember any junior riders with a Raleigh frame but memory fades....

If you don't have the money I could always take it off your hands :)

Shaun

The seller mentioned the rider was Dennis Lightfoot from Manchester Wheelers, but I've searched and just can't find any info.

But anyway, that was never the reason for buying it. I just love Ilkeston frames. I would love a '74 frame with yellow head tube...

1975..... I was 15 and cycling mad but don't remember the name Dennis Lightfoot , sorry :(

This one ? http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... ack-75.jpg

Here is what came through the bike shop (Cliff Pratt Cycles) at that age which is what I would like :)

http://radpropaganda.org/wp-content/upl ... pro-75.jpg

But what I would really like was the last of the 531 frames with the fork crown in chrome and the fork blades and rear end in chrome.

the brochures show this as a fully sloping fork crown but the Raleigh rep had a frame with a semi sloping crown...........the move to 753 killed the chrome :(

Shaun

very interesting my friend had a team bike it was an ex works bike think it was a back up bike for the tour de france he got it in around 1983 his dad knew someone who worked at raleigh quite high up from what i can remember its very close to the one in your pics ill ask him if he has any pics of it i know that he didnt have it long as it was stolen form gloucester town centre a few months after he got it.

speedthing":3545uuu7 said:
very interesting my friend had a team bike it was an ex works bike think it was a back up bike for the tour de france he got it in around 1983 his dad knew someone who worked at raleigh quite high up from what i can remember its very close to the one in your pics ill ask him if he has any pics of it i know that he didnt have it long as it was stolen form gloucester town centre a few months after he got it.

did you type that all in one breath? ;)

speedthing":3kjuro17 said:
sorry i went the fourth rate comprehensive school thats why a cant spell punctuate or anything else.

:oops: wasn't meant as criticism just a cheeky comment - apologies :)

Back