Fitting a headset

Rich34

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I need to fit (or have fitted) a headset. Just been looking up "headset tools" on eBay and I notice one or two people selling what looks like a bolt with washers and nuts. Am I right in thinking that all I need is a way of pressing the cups into the frame? In which case can I use a length of threaded rod with some washers and bolts, and tighten them up gradually thus pressing the cups in?

Grateful for an idea of how everyone else goes about it.

BITD (70's) we used a spare bit of tube to locate (smack) the ring on the top of the forks, if it was loose then a centre punch helped to raise a bit of metal on the top of the forks.... another headset ring was used on tot to prevent impact damage LOL

The other headset components were seated with persuasion from a piece of wood and a drift / hammer :)

Even used the technique for alloy EDCO sets :)

However, I think the headset tools might be a bit more sane :)

Shaun

I've banged many headsets in à la Shaun, and with a threaded bolt as you suggest. Both work OK. I've now invested in a swanky headset tool and haven't yet had a chance to use it! Will do soon, though.

Hammer and bit of wood to get the cups in, tapping around. Hammer and old seatpost for knocking the cups out, again tapping around the circumference. An I've always used a screwdriver and a hammer for the fork crown race.
I've done a few now and not broken any yet..

Many thanks to all - think I'll have a go at it myself. The Youtube video was useful (cheers) and it's good to know that with some threaded rod, a mallet and some bits of wood in my garage I have all the tools I need!

The frame in question is a 1980 Colnago Super. Rest assured the mallet won't be used for anything else once I've done this...

Latest posts

Back