7 to 8 speed cassette... chain jumping in top gears, HELP!

poolio

Onnnne Huuuunnnndrreeed and Eigggghhhhty
Feedback
View
Bought a c2000 GT Tempest with 8 speed rear cassette... chain, cassette and chainrings were all pretty battered... middle chain ring was so worn it was unusable, and the rear cassette regularly jumped/slipped...

So I've invested in new Shimano Acera chainrings, shimano chain and shimano HG41 rear cassette, slapped them all on my reasonably new rear wheel (6 months old) but now the chain jumps all over the place when in the highest gears (top 2)... when the cable is "slackest".

Previously the rear hub had an 7 speed cassette, which I've removed and replaced with the 8 speeder.

Question is: do I need to tinker with the spacers so that the cassette's a little further away from the frame and there's a little more tension in the gear cable?

Also noticed that when I spin the wheel then let it freewheel the cassette wobbles/oscillates a bit, like the freehub's a bit wonky (only a bit mind) lots of videos on YouTube showing this affect, most saying it's 'normal'...

Any advice please, missing my top gears!

JP

assuming the shifters and cassette are both 9 speed, it sounds like you just need to adjust the limit screws and cable tension.

also chech rear mech hanger isn't bent/twisted or mech has excessive side play on main pivot and is worn......new inner /out cable may be needed a old cables can cause too.

+1 with the limit screws or the check the rear mechs top jockey wheel is not too close the the cassette...

wookiee":1wpyi2tj said:
...check the rear mechs top jockey wheel is not too close to the cassette...

And if it is... how do you move it away? I've twizzled the screw that rotates the mech round as far as possible, but the jock wheel is still pretty darned close...

The rest of you - thanks for taking the time!

JP

Back