5 or 6 speed chain - Rings and freewheel now needed!

ancient biker

Devout Dirtbag
Hi

The chain on my Mercian is jumping about and i've been advised to get a new chain. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Re: 5 or 6 speed chain

ancient biker":tfn5urhl said:
Hi

The chain on my Mercian is jumping about and i've been advised to get a new chain. Can anyone please point me in the right direction?

Hilary stone has some right corkers in at the moment...........

http://hilarystone.com/chains.html

You need to check your chainrings and rear block for wear too! Your problem may not go away with a new chain.

Thanks

That's really useful. I think the larger chain ring also needs replaced. Hopefully the freewheel is OK.

Thanks again

Darren

Perhaps buying a 6-7 speed chain for 6pounds from chainreactioncycles.com might be a more economical way to go rather than 38pounds for a Hilary stone period chain?

hurin76":28wh48z5 said:
Perhaps buying a 6-7 speed chain for 6pounds from chainreactioncycles.com might be a more economical way to go rather than 38pounds for a Hilary stone period chain?

This. You can pick up a new Shimano HG40 online for a fiver, from my experience they're perfectly good to use.

Ian's right, if you're replacing the chain you may well want to swap for a new block whilst you're at it, as a new chain alone wont solve the problems. There are few things more annoying than a jumping chain!

Freewheel and rings now needed

Hi

Thanks for the advice. Ordered and fitted a HG50 chain - a bit less shiny than the old one - and it hasn't really helped. So now looking at new rings for the golden arrow crankset (130 BCD i think) and a new freewheel. At the minute i've a six speed and i think i can squeeze in a seven speed (125mm spacing).

Many thanks

Darren

Back