BIGFOOT Smokestone 1993 (now NeilM's)

mrlee":2mxocnsj said:
thats great news on the bb threads :cool:

Yes it is.

I picked the frame up today, and the threads are now looking serviceable. I am still going to have to be very careful when I install a BB, but I think I should be OK.

Navadasmith came over to the shop with his Bigfoot while I was there, and chatting with Graham and Shiela we confirmed that the total production of e-stay frames was 200. We also managed to identify at least two more Bigfoot's, although one of those should have been binned at the time it was produced, it is now yellow and to quote Graham- "horrible".

I also confirmed that my frame was the second ever produced, and was originally equipped with a Campagnolo BB. It would have also ZERO skewers, as Zero sponsored Bigfoot at the time and supplied them with skewers and other parts.

So, next job is to work out what width BB I need for either my RS2 or newly acquired RS3 cranks. Then what colour to have the frame painted and who should I get to apply it. Last is to contact a local anodiser, and see if they can turn purple into black :twisted:

More soon ;)

DSC_0133.jpg

All this talk of Bigfoot and Smokestones has had me reminiscing about the 1994/95 winter race series Graham sponcered that was called the "Ozone Winter Series" which Gerry McGrarr of "Year 2000" ran
And if my memory serves me right it was Shobden / Hopton / Colsty Woods / Forest of Dean and Ashton Court. Althought given the series popularity I'm sure someone else who was there will put me right.

First prize was one of Grahams frames, and since neither myself or my mates won the series I have no idea if it was a Bigfoot or a Smokestone (suspect the latter) but I can remember giving it longing looks,

I did win one of Grahams Tee shirt though :p Maybe I should pop in on and casually pay Slam69 a visit.. in my 17yr old tee shirt. :LOL:
(thankfully it still fits)

Coming from Gloucester I rode past Footies shop every day on my way to work, sad day when it went :( its now Dockside Superbike and looks a little forlone these dayz

Happy Days.... gone but not forgotten,

Nice thread guys (and Navada's) glad the frame has gone to someone who can sort out the school boy error with the bottom bracket.

Attachments

• DSCF7856.JPG
    DSCF7856.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 475
  • DSCF7858.JPG
    DSCF7858.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 475
It's done!

Or, at least can now be ridden.

It was pretty clear from the start that the frame would not take a polish, not without losing a lot of the weld detail, so I thought I would have it painted so at least it looked a little like it was anodised. That turned out to be a little more difficult that anticipated, quite possible, but at a cost, so instead I went for bright, as at that stage I was still unsure if the bottom bracket shell would be OK or toast.

ABC Coatings in Nailsea, nr Bristol were recommended by a couple of forum members and for £30 cash that did a really great job.

Much to my delight, I found Avon Electro Plating in my home town. They were able to transform a number of bits of aluminium from their abused purple state, into a much more tasteful satin black version of their former selves. Not cheap, but worth it I think.

Gil_M supplied the decals, to my specification. I do have some Smokestone decals, but I'm undecided about applying them yet. I am also not completely sure about the clear feet on the main decal, but if I decide I don't like it, Gil can always produce a couple more for me.

Spec sheets at the bottom, and it is my usual style of build, so will not appeal to all. So far I have just had a quick spin round the block, but already it's clear that the Bigfoot is light and nimble, so I look forwards to a trip around the Forest of Dean with TC, as a try out.

Thanks to: TC for the frame, forks, handlebars and front mech. To Ishaw for the NOS ControlTech stem, to Nevadasmith for the cranks complete with purple (now black) spider, to justbackdated for the new elastomers and to Graham Foot for at least trying to save the thread in the BB shell. Other bits'n'bobs were acquired along the way and my apologies if I have not given due credit to you if you supplied some of the bits.

DSC_01871.jpg

DSC_01911.jpg

I know, it's very .. RED.

In fact, the pictures don't show just how red and shiny it is.

Bigfoot Smokestone Spec Sheet.

Frame: 1993 Bigfoot Smokestone
No: 059302

Fork: Pace RC35

Headset: Mavic
Stem: 1 1/8” ControlTech quill
Handlebar: X-Lite Xpert
Grips: Sach Wavey
BarEnds: X-Lite Stubbies

Brakes: Cane Creek Direct Curve 3
Brake Levers: Shimano M600
Shifters: Sach Wavey 8 speed
Front Derailleur: XTR M901
Rear Derailleur: XTR M900
Cassette: Shimano
Chain: Shimano
Chainset: Middleburn RS3 with Stronglight rings
Pedals: Time Alium
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN54

Rims: Mavic 221
Hubs: Shimano LX
QRs: Fred Salmon NOS
Tyres: WTB Velociraptor

Saddle: Selle Italia
Seatpost: USE
Seatpost Binder: Hope

NeilM":2gpxrwf3 said:
Thanks, love that T shirt of yours, very :cool:

If you're interested I'll send it to you for the price of the postage. Since it only sits folded in the bottom of my wardrobe, I'll measure across the chest tonight.

That'll fit.

I'm only over the bridge in Weston-s-Mare. Save sending it, I'll PM you and we can meet up for a quick chat next time I'm in the FoD. How does that sound?

I might even bring the Bigfoot ;)

Latest posts

Back