Wiring and soldering spokes

Ian Raleigh":2qr0q9k1 said:
I remember very well my first ever set of 'real' racing wheels which at the time
i had no idea at the time what the wired up bits were for on my wheels so after
many hours of snipping/cutting of the stupid looking wire i finally got it all off the
spokes, then i had the job of polishing up the wheels which i enjoyed thoroughly
a few weeks later i met the chap who i got the wheels from and he was outraged
because i had removed the wire and he then explained what 'tie and solder' did :oops:

:LOL:

Of course in my particular case it's mostly about the 'look' I've got to be honest :oops: :LOL:

Looking at the link that'a the way I did it way back when......I only had a small initial "hook" and at the end I tucked the wire under the loops so that no cut ends were visible :)

and then soldered using flux and a very big copper triangle on the end of a handle heated in a gas flame.....nowadays I'd use a butane gas burner direct LOL

Shaun

Midlife":3bsqqgwy said:
Looking at the link that'a the way I did it way back when......I only had a small initial "hook" and at the end I tucked the wire under the loops so that no cut ends were visible :)

and then soldered using flux and a very big copper triangle on the end of a handle heated in a gas flame.....nowadays I'd use a butane gas burner direct LOL

Shaun

Cheers ;)

Wired

Wow, very cool - haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this for years! I approve!! It was always fuse wire back in my day (5 amp or something else thin).

Re: Wired

531 pro":2iyianwi said:
Wow, very cool - haven't seen or heard of anyone doing this for years! I approve!! It was always fuse wire back in my day (5 amp or something else thin).

Fuse wire! Brilliant! Im off to the corner shop :LOL:
The bike is Reynolds 531 pro by the way ;)

Re: Wired

[/quote]The bike is Reynolds 531 pro by the way ;)[/quote]

Ha ha - you'll need all the strength and rigidity you can get then :LOL:

I'd be careful with fuse wire unless it's thick enough to wrap side by side in a single layer..... as I mentioned in a previous post it needs to be neat or looks like a bird poo LOL

Shaun

Back