1997 Saracen Hardtrax - First retro bike - Build Update!!

superstu":3t4fcv7v said:
Really cool frame. Like the build a lot and your enthusiasm :D

However, and this isn't personal, I am not a fan of the wheels (never liked the look or practicality of spins) and the tyres for me push it over the edge slightly. But the rest of the build is quality, and that's just me being picky.

+1

Looks good,but tyres and wheels a bit OTT IMHO

At the mo the Saracen is laid-up waiting some new parts..

One of the Magura mounts craked and split when installing, so I am swapping those over for my spare set!

The DX cranks also had less pedal threads in the drive side than I was lead to believe when I bought them, so the pedal went wobbly and almost pulled out of the crank on its first ride :!:. I have another set of cranks on the way however, so will re-attach the chainrings to them & be good as new! Well, old.. but you get the idea!
Before that however it was just so..familiar.. to be back on a responsive steel HT, brought a huge grin to my face, and that’s really what this bike is and should be all about!

As for the practicality/weight of the Spins; it’s irrelevant! The braking surfaces are good, the brakes work (VERY well!! :shock: ) and they are fun! I like the look, so it’s all good with me!;) Also, they are not all that heavy, they only got that rep when compared to wheels of the equivalent price BITD, but overall they compare well to more modern wheels in terms of weight (unless you’re being a weight weenie, but I have the Kinesis for that!).

Bear in mind that this is essentially my 16 year-old self’s idea of late 90’s MTB cool, so any comments about taste and decency are very much (as I said in the introduction) welcome, but will be ignored :LOL: And that is why the yellow bars have to stay! ;)
Anyway, my Ghost is black, my Vitus is matt grey & black, the Kinesis is Polished Alu and black components, so I need something to go a bit crazy on & get a few colours in there! ;)

Next up for the Saracen is to properly sort out the brakes, and cranks, and trim down the fork steerer, but I’m away for a couple of weeks soon, so it might not be until the end of August before it’s totally finished..

saracen hardtrax

Also been doing up a Saracen Hardtrax (approx 97) - but not quite as thoroughly as you!

Got my bro to do new graphics, with the new font - since the old decals were pretty wrecked.

Basically got new seat, pedals, chain (KMC), sprockets (shimano), rear wheel, tyres, handlebar grips. Aimed to keep the look pretty similar.

Since the pic was taken I've added a Shimano Alivio rear derailleur, lezyne bottle cage (+kcmc bolts), and am planning a new front derailleur and middleburn chainrings (and raceface chainring bolts). Going for the Middleburn cos they seem to be the only 5-bolt rings with the right number of teeth (42,34,24).

Can't shift onto the 3rd chainring at the mo, so hopefully can sort that out with the new derailleur. :p

All the best w/your project. :D

PS: Planning a black bikehut handlebar too, cos it's lighter and looks cool.

Attachments

• saracen hardtrax.jpg
    saracen hardtrax.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 979
That's a '97 alright!

I think those are the new graphics you've got there - which will confuse the hell out of people! ;)

When I had mine first time round, the seat, grips pedals & bars were the first things I changed!
Yeah, Middleburn still seem to do the very nice 5-bolt stuff, which is good!

If you've still got the original Chainset though, which it looks like, you'll have to change the entire thing, because the Altus OEM chainset doesn't have removable chainrings!

Front Mech is a SRAM Gen-X, the first of the X-gen mechs, but still compatible with the 28.6 seat tube! Otherwise I'd recommend a 90's Shimano XT as they just never quit!

Cheers Osella!

Yeh - the new graphics on the original frame are a bit of a cheat lol, but I guess it's still pretty recogniseable cos've the shape of the frame compared to modern ones? :p

Yeh, just realised I'd have to replace the whole chainset, when I saw the current one has no bolts, lol. Need to do so anyway really, since the some of the teeth are in a pretty bad state (the lad I got it from - for £20 - hadn't changed the original chain at all).

Thanks for the advice re: front mechs! Will have a look into it! Was originally thinking of going for this:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/shimano-fro ... it-p200505
...since it fits 6/7 speeds and the current number of teeth on the chain rings (I'll keep to the same number with Middleburn ones).

Had a bit of trouble with the rear sprockets - cos I got an 8-speed rear wheel with spacer, it pushes the gears to the right so pretty hard to get into 7th lol. Oh well.

@azaro. Yeh - the original graphics were great... but completely wrecked on mine. Was just easier to copy the newer font - plus fancied a bit of a change. :p

Back