1995 GT Tequesta Seatpost Issue...

Yoda's Brother

Retro Newbie
I've read several dozen posts on this forum in an effort to confirm that the seatpost diameter of my '95 GT Tequesta is in fact 26.8, and it does APPEAR to be so.

However, I've had a hell of a time trying to get it in, as it just won't fit.

I bought a seat post by XLC, 26.8mm, and after a good lube-up, it only went in about 2 inches, and it took a lot of brute strength with wrench-clamping to remove it. This is certainly NO "quick-release", and I can't help but to think that my seatpost is too wide, despite what I've read online.

I don't have the tools, know-how, or desire to file or plane-down the metal for a slightly looser fit, and I'm unsure if using a 28.6mm would be wise.

If anyone can help me with this, please do... It'd be muchly appreciated.

Thanks!

Anyone?

Anyone???

Bueller?

I need my bike to get around... Ima hafta search for a 26.6mm I suppose, in hopes that it won't be too loose while riding & screw something up.

legrandefromage":1s7bo3cy said:
try 26.6 or 26.4 instead?

Cant remember which models, but some I've had were these sizes.
Thank you for your response, Big Cheese. Great advice, as I was fortunate enough to find both a 26.6 and a 26.4... The 26.4 slides in with just a teensie bit of wiggle-room (before tightening the quick-release), and I really wasn't sure if that would be safe or effective. I had to call 13 different bike shops to find the magic solution: A 26.6mm seat post... Fits perfectly-- with a bit of lube it fits snugly, securely, and with relative ease...

I'm not a bike builder, so I've been unfamiliar with this apparently common problem. It's strange to me that the technical specs state that the 1995 GT Tequesta takes a 26.8mm, when in truth it requires a 26.6.

Thanks again, Legrandefromage.

Just an additional thought. There seems to be some kind of urban myth that GTs are 'susceptible' to stuck seatposts. In my experience it seems to be that GT did so many different sizes (due to tubing) that people have tried to put the wrong size in.

I had to gently prise the integral clamp jaws on my Rebound as someone had put in a too small post and just carried on doing it up...

Its probably a 26.4, I have a GT Richter 8.0 with a 26.4 steapost.

(other GT seatpost sizes [that I know of] 27.0, 27.2)

MADJEZ":3ge80i55 said:
Just an additional thought. There seems to be some kind of urban myth that GTs are 'susceptible' to stuck seatposts. In my experience it seems to be that GT did so many different sizes (due to tubing) that people have tried to put the wrong size in.

I had to gently prise the integral clamp jaws on my Rebound as someone had put in a too small post and just carried on doing it up...
JeffGothro":3ge80i55 said:
Its probably a 26.4, I have a GT Richter 8.0 with a 26.4 steapost.

(other GT seatpost sizes [that I know of] 27.0, 27.2)
Thank you for your responses. I didn't know of the urban myth of GT seatposts getting stuck, but earlier this afternoon I tried a 26.4mm which was just a wee-little bit loose, and the 26.6 is actually a snug but good fit, even though GT's specifications claim that it takes a 26.8mm... Thanks again for the help!

Back