Soldering gear and brake cable ends?

Way2many

Retro Guru
I still much prefer to do this over those silly 'pressed' on alloy ends...means I can service my cables and clean the liners!

Having trouble with this bloomin new 'stainless' stuff though as the solder will not 'flow', any suggestions?

:x

Haven't done this in a while, but always used to dip the ends in solder flux paste. Many modern cables are also coated in PTFE (Teflon) which means it's tricky to get anything to stick.

Can't help with your cable but I agree, I have a '78 gios, a '82 team ti Raleigh and an '84 Raleigh team panasonic and they still have the original solder blob on the end of the cables and it does look nice ;)

I tried it once but it didn't work. I don't use those cable end things, they actually squash the cable. Which is fine if you never remove the inner from the outer. Ideally I'd solder the ends, second best is make a clean cut and just leave it.

Re: .

Way2many":tih8xfuw said:
Any name of flux you can recommend...fleabat is throwing up the usual 100's of useless hits!
If it`s still available BAKERS soldering fluid, but I would think any ACID type flux would do{don`t forget to wash off after otherwise it will corrode} Last pro team I worked for we used Super Glue Gel & a push on plastic end cap on the cable end { i think you can still buy the plastic end caps they are a tight push fit & can be re used, but we used to renew each time. IIRC we used get them in bags of 1000 a time}

I've not managed to get solder to stick to stainless wires. Probably an acid flux will be best. The plumbing stuff in the yellow tub that you can get in Homebase is pretty corrosive, so might do the trick.

Back