Yeti FRO -> C-26 Prototype replica tribute project

mkozaczek":36001ecn said:
sinnerman":36001ecn said:
I am a bit thick, so bere with me, but how did the frame on the prototype frame you have pictured, differ from the others..?

Frame differences

1. Simplex dropouts vs. machined ones (like on later FRO, ARC, Ulitmate)
2. Cable stops on top tube are bonded onto the carbon section, later C-26s had cable stops welded onto the metal sections of the frame
3. No reinforcing gusset on the drive side chain stay like later FROs
4. Cable stop actuated front derailleur as opposed to using a pulley to route the cable to the front derailleur

Other differences

1. The prototype bike had a custom made FTW stem that was a sort of forerunner of the modern day threadless type stems. An extension tube is brazed onto the Yeti fork and the stem clamps onto that extension like today's stem. Fork is still threaded and uses a threaded headset.

2. Decals didn't say C-26, just Yeti, Shimano, Easton and so on in different photos

So the tubes used for the prototype build were the same as the Race frames that where built,...........?

you still didnt say, im presuming they were..?

sinnerman":3c9qxy2e said:
So the tubes used for the prototype build were the same as the Race frames that where built,...........?

The tubes were the same for all C-26s ever made. Based on what I read and have been told Yeti procured approximately 50 tubesets and all bikes built used those tubesets.

mkozaczek":1isanpes said:
sinnerman":1isanpes said:

The tubes were the same for all C-26s ever made. Based on what I read and have been told Yeti procured approximately 50 tubesets and all bikes built used those tubesets.

I see, i wondered if there was a bonding or tubing issue of the first prototype, leading to the eventual frame tubing batch being used.

:cool:

I'll play! Very cool project. Obviously I'm a fan.

mkozaczek":3uufy28c said:
Chris Hertig is doing the work.

The C-26 was never really that strong to begin with.

Not sure that's true a true statement. The prototype wasn't that strong because the tolerances were wrong and most of the glue pushed out when the tubes were mated with the lugs. So there wasn't much in there to hold the sucker together.

The glue was strong enough. The design was sound minus the fact they were mating steel lugs with aluminum tubes. So yeah, over time and temperature change it likely would have failed. But I know actual C-26 frames that have been ridden for years and are still sound.

curious, how many are out there?

i do like the c26 and these replicas, i know they're are not original as such, as in built at the time but either way it's a cool bike to build.

jonnyboy666":24igw232 said:
curious, how many are out there?

i do like the c26 and these replicas, i know they're are not original as such, as in built at the time but either way it's a cool bike to build.

I think they are amazing, and i take my hat off to every single person that has done it.....!!!! :cool:

Back